Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Kay was physically unable to tear her gaze from her luggage on the opposite side of the room. She sat on her bed, clutching the sheets, staring so hard her eyes were burning. The Chaos Emerald was in there. After everything that had happened tonight, she suddenly felt the urge to hold it again, feel its cool surface beneath her fingertips.

But her logical side told her not to. She had put it away for a reason; even if things had changed a lot in the past twenty-four hours, there was no excuse for her to plague herself any more than she already had. Her life on Mobius was a thing of the past, Eggman or no Eggman.

Still...

Finally the war between her head and her heart caused her to lose control of the composure she had struggled to achieve over the past two years. Kay felt the first tear escape, and from there she simply could not stop herself as she broke down and cried, curling into a fetal position and laying on the bed facing away from the door.

Raph swallowed, gritted his teeth, and turned away from the room to give Kay her privacy.

Donnie hadn't left his lab after Kay had decided to go back up to her room. Instead he had decided to use all that nervous energy he'd acquired recently to focus on one of his many projects. He hadn't made it very far along before he heard the door slam and Raph's voice snapped, "What is going on, Donnie?"

The scientist sighed, finished what he was doing, and turned to face his older brother. "It's not my place to say, Raph."

Golden eyes glared down at him. "She's crying up there."

"I'm not surprised." Donnie frowned. "You followed her?"

"I was going to talk to her, but I figure now may not be the best time."

"No, it isn't." The purple-clad Turtle turned back to his project.

Raph's heart raced as his anger grew. "It really bugs me that she told you what's going on but not us."

Donnie shrugged. "She wouldn't have told me anything either, but I kind of did some snooping early on and figured it out myself. Kay just filled in the blanks."

"So can't you tell us what you already knew?"

"I promised not to."

"You and your promises," Raph scoffed, throwing his hands into the air in frustration. "We're brothers, Donatello. I thought we didn't keep secrets from each other anymore."

The younger Turtle was silent for a long time, but finally he stopped what he was doing, looked Raph in the eyes, and said, "You never told us what happened that night Kay woke us all up with her screaming."

An unwanted memory of holding her close to him that night slipped into his mind. Raph shook his head. "That's different."

Now Donnie shook his head. "It's exactly the same. Raph, right now Kay needs us to be her friends, and friends don't pry into each other's personal problems. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: she'll tell you when she's ready. And I'm sure that will be sooner than you think."

"Friends don't pry, huh?" The red-clad Turtle smirked. "Like you did when we first met her?"

Donnie's patience snapped, and he stood up angrily, clenching his fists. "I didn't know that gem had such a deep connection to her past. I was curious because I'd never seen anything like it before. I wanted to know why it was so valuable to the Purple Dragons. I found out the rest accidentally. I wasn't prying on purpose!"

Raph raised an eye ridge. "And now she hangs out with you and Mikey more than anyone."

"Maybe because we're actually trying to help her instead of bring her down." The scientist crossed his arms and glared. "If you weren't such a jerk perhaps she'd hang out with you too, Raph."

"A jerk?" Donnie gave his brother a look, and the older Turtle sighed, resigning. "That's why I followed her tonight. I wanted to apologize."

There was a long, tense pause between the two brothers as the echoes of their argument died down. Finally Donnie relaxed his posture, and his gaze softened. "You should probably wait until tomorrow." He turned back to his project again, signaling the end of the conversation.

Raphael suddenly felt upset for a different reason, but he tried to ignore it and simply walk out the door of his geek brother's lab. He was halfway over the threshold when his conscience screamed at him, and he stopped.

"I'm sorry, Donnie," he muttered. "I just saw her crying and was worried. That's all."

"I know, bro," Donnie replied without turning around. "I told Kay you were just looking out for her. But you know, she's not invalid."

A smile tugged on Raph's lips. "Yeah, she's gone out of her way to prove that one to me." After a brief pause, he said, "Night, Donnie."

"Morning, you mean."

"Whatever." Raph chuckled and left the room.

~

*Author's Note* Hey, readers! Welcome back to the world of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! I just wanted to write a quick heads-up notice: I am officially a sophomore in college now, and my work load for this semester is HEAVY, let me tell you. Also, NaNoWriMo is coming up in November. With all the reading and writing projects I have to do for class as well as for myself, it will be impossible for me to post chapters every week without losing my sanity. So until further notice, I will be posting a new chapter EVERY TEN DAYS (excluding Sundays). I'll list the release dates for the rest of this year down below. I'll see what next semester looks like, but for now, this is what must be done in order for me to effectively balance school writing projects with personal ones. Thank you for your patience and understanding, and as always, thanks for reading! I hope you're enjoying "Worlds Collide" so far! :D

CHAPTER RELEASE DATES:

October 12

October 22

November 2

November 12

November 23

December 3

December 14

December 24

.