Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

Kay got to her feet. She never tore her eyes from the gem hovering among them with a will of its own. She had definitely heard someone call to her, and by the looks of it, everyone else had, too. Some eyes turned to gaze at her while others' stayed glued to the Emerald.

"Okay, is this seriously creepy to anyone else?" Relic asked.

No one answered her question.

Kay suddenly felt a pull on her chest, urging her forward. She began walking mechanically, not entirely aware of her own body, and it only slightly surprised her to see that the gem began to move forward in unison with her movements. Those who weren't already staring at her definitely were now. As she neared the doorway of the workshop those standing closest to it stepped aside to let her through. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Sonic hold out his arm to keep Knuckles from charging forward after her.

The Chaos Emerald was now out in the open air of Angel Island, and so was she. Silently Kay followed the gem's path as it led her away from the workshop and further out into the open. It wasn't long before she saw the Shrine Isle and realized that was most likely their destination.

As they moved further onward she noticed the Sky Patrol parked on the edge of the island, standing proudly in the sun. Then she took a closer look when she realized the front hatch of the ship was vibrating slightly. Unable to bring herself to stop her forward momentum, Kay kept her gaze trained on it as long as she could before she was forced to look away - but not before she saw the door slide open and the remaining six Chaos Emeralds emerge on their own, hovering in the air just like the one before her.

Behind her Sally exclaimed, "The Emeralds!"

Kay glanced over her shoulder as she walked. The others were following her, of course, with Sonic and Knuckles in the lead. While the blue hedgehog only seemed puzzled by what was happening, the echidna was clearly unhappy that the Emeralds were reacting this way to a human.

At last Kay and the Emeralds reached the Shrine Isle, but she was forced to stop while they went on ahead, as the bridge that usually connected the smaller chunk of earth to the mainland was gone. The others came to a stop a fair distance behind her, and everyone watched as the Seven Chaos Emeralds assumed their places around the shrine and finally came to a halt. For a long moment everything was still. Then, from the pit where the Master Emerald usually sat, a familiar figure materialized before them, gazing down right into Kay's eyes.

Her heart began to race as she started to realize what all of this meant. The Emeralds never behaved this way on their own; Tikal had to be controlling them.

The ancient echidnan princess held out her hand in a welcoming gesture. "Come."

At first Kay hesitated. There was no bridge. She couldn't just walk across the open air to reach the Shrine Isle. But then she remembered the scar on her hand, and what it symbolized. She did contain some Chaos Energy now, so maybe...

She took a deep breath, braced herself, and then put one foot over the edge of the island to stand on thin air. As the crowd behind her began to shout their protests, Kay let her other foot leave the mainland.

She did not fall.

The protests stopped, replaced by a stunned silence. Kay glanced back over her shoulder at them all, sharing in their surprise for just a moment before returning her attention to the spirit before her. She finished the brief walk to the Shrine Isle as quickly as possible. However cool it was to be able to walk on air, it still scared her a little.