Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Unable to do anything else, Kay screamed when the Dark Gaia Creatures lunged for her.

"Heads up!" a male voice shouted. Kay whipped her head down and covered it with her arms. Just a split second later she heard two squeals, then the man's voice again. "Over here, y'ugly monsters!"

Casey.

Kay lifted her head again and watched as Casey Jones swung a baseball bat in one hand and a hockey stick in the other at the Creatures that were now lunging at him, roaring fiercely despite their small size. She took in a deep breath and forced herself to her hands and knees. She was still a little shaky, but not as bad. Now she mostly just felt like a human noodle.

Someone who could only be April squeezed her shoulders. "Kay, are you all right? What happened?"

"No time...to explain," Kay huffed, using April as a crutch to get to her feet. "We've got to...stop those things...before they let loose on...New York City."

"Careful," April said as she helped steady the younger girl. "What are they?"

"Later." Kay gasped when she lifted her eyes and saw two more emerge from what had to be a Genesis Portal. "Oh, come on."

Metal sang as April unsheathed her own sword and sliced at the monsters without a second thought, effectively reducing them to nothing but puffs of black smoke the dissolved in the air. Casey skated up to them and removed his mask after having done the same.

"Kay, you all right?" he asked.

"Fine." Kay looked at the Portal, saw more monsters beyond, then scrambled to find the Chaos Emerald. She fell to the ground again, unable to support herself yet, and instead crawled to it. Once it was in her grasp, she noticed that the cool sensations that used to greet her upon touching the gem were replaced with burning ones. She gasped, nearly dropped the Emerald, then regained composure enough to hold on to it despite the pain.

"More incoming!" Casey shouted, shoving his mask down over his face and shifting into battle mode once more.

Kay looked over her shoulder at the Portal, where the creatures began coming through one by one. Her mind raced as she struggled to come up with a solution. She looked at the Emerald uselessly. "Come on, come on," she muttered to herself. "There's got to be something I can..." She stopped, noticing again the matching mark on her left palm, and lined the two up once more. Pain shot up through her arm, but she forced herself to hold the gem in place against her other hand and let the power surge through her.

"What are you doing?" April called between monster killings.

Kay forced herself to her feet, the Chaos Force flowing into her legs to give them strength to stand. Somehow she knew she was going to have a major power crash after this, but now was not the time to dwell on that. Just then she felt it again – that burst of energy she'd experienced in the stairwell – and she yelled, "Get back!"

The Jones' barely had time to do just that before an series of Chaos Spears flew above their heads to the monsters coming through the portal, effectively killing them all off and stopping the incoming flow momentarily as some of the weapons even traveled to the other side of the Portal.

Kay stumbled forward, keeping her palm on the Emerald at all times. She stopped just in front of the Portal and took a moment to really look at it. The oval was outlined in purple, and the image it showed was of a place unfamiliar to her. That could have just been because Mobius was now in pieces, but somehow Kay didn't think so.

Another Dark Gaia Creature popped into her vision, sending her stumbling backwards as it and a few of its friends shot through the barrier. Again Casey and April were there, using their variety of weapons to take down the new threat as quickly as possible. But Kay looked beyond the melee and knew that unless she managed to pull off a miracle, there were going to be a lot more where those came from.

"I've got to close the portal," she announced, glancing down at the gem in her hands.

"How?" Casey asked. He took a swing at one of the Creatures with his baseball bat and pretended to watch it fly into the distance even though it simply evaporated in front of him. "Home run!"

"Give me a second!" Kay frantically ran through every Chaos attack she knew and tried to decide which would be best for the current situation. She scanned the rooftop, noted their location relative to the stairwell door, and that's when the lightbulb went off. "Casey, April. Get inside. Quick!"

"What?" April exclaimed.

"Just do it!"

After just a moment's hesitation Casey grabbed April's arm and pulled her to the door as Kay instructed, closing it behind them – but not all the way.

I really hope this doesn't kill me, was all Kay could think before she took a breath, flung her arms out in opposite directions, and yelled, "Chaos Blast!"

She felt the power rip from inside of her and knock into the several opponents gathered around. A series of shrieks filled the air as the Dark Gaia Creatures met their demise.

Then...silence.

Kay felt like a noodle again. She knew it was just a matter of time before she passed out. She also knew that producing a Blast did not mean she'd closed the Portal, so she lifted her gaze to it just as a bright figure drifted in front of it from the opposite side. Its back was to her, but Kay didn't need to see its face.

Then it turned to her anyway, one hand lifted towards the enemies attempting to barrel through, the other wrapped around the outside of the Portal, shrinking it. Closing it.

This was her one chance. She reached her hand out to mirror the figure's and said, "Silver."

The grey hedgehog met her eyes just as darkness finally claimed her.