Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Shut up, brain, Kay snapped at herself as she lay wide awake in her room in the sewers. She stared at the brick ceiling. Seriously, it's like passing out is the only way to get a decent night's – or day's – sleep anymore. Her thoughts were swirling around like a tornado in her mind. Kay closed her eyes and tried to force them away but to no avail.

Sonic had just contacted her. She had spoken to Sonic for the first time in two years! It was a dream come true, but on the flip side of that Eggman had contacted her as well, and her twenty-four hours had to be up by now. He would be coming after her at any moment. She couldn't stay down here and risk the safety of the Turtles, Chaos Emerald or no. The Turtles! If Eggman found her – and he eventually would – their lair would be discovered and their cover blown. She couldn't let that happen. She had to leave...but Leo had ordered her rather firmly to stay put until further notice.

No. Kay sat up suddenly and shook her head. Leo has good intentions, but I don't have to follow his orders like the others do. I can leave. And I will...it's the best thing for everyone. She swung her legs over the side and crossed the room to where her backpack sat propped against her luggage. Briefly making sure that the Emerald was still in its proper place, she shouldered her bag and headed for the door.

Memories decided to plague her at that moment, stopping her cold in the doorway. Once upon a time she had been here in NYC on vacation. A chance to get away before starting college for who-knows-what. A time to really be on her own for the first time since Mobius. But then the Purple Dragons forced her to miss her flight and she suddenly found herself stranded here. Kay smirked. Who knew it's been about this Chaos Emerald the whole time? I never would have guessed.

She shook her head to clear it, then started out again. As she walked she considered telling Raphael where she was going but decided against it. He'll know where to look if he wants to find me. One stop she did make on her way out of the silent lair was the dojo, just long enough to grab the spare training bo she'd been practicing with – just in case.

Finally Kay stood before the large brick wall that separated the Turtles' home from the rest of the underground. Once she opened it she'd have to bolt, of course. The noise would alert someone to her leaving. Again. Gripping the straps of her backpack tightly and taking once last glance around the lair, she took a deep breath and opened the wall, darting out into the darkness...

...and right into the chest of Leonardo.

Kay gasped as the wall sealed up behind her, engulfing them in total darkness. She blinked several times, trying to adjust her eyes, but she didn't need to see to be able to feel the hard stare Leo was giving her. She clenched her fists. "You can't keep me here."

"I'm trying to protect you," Leo replied. His voice was flat.

"No, I'm trying to protect you," Kay insisted. "Why can't you see, Leo? My twenty-four hours are up. Eggman will be coming after me. If he used the Chaos Emerald to find me once he'll do so again, and it will lead him right to you. You can't afford that."

"If he wants to bring the battle to our turf, it's his funeral."

"Do you really want to relocate your family again?" The silence was the only answer she needed. "It's not worth it, Leo. I'm not worth it. This is my fight, not yours. Let me go."

By this time her eyes had adjusted as best as they could, and all she could see was his outline in the dark. Barely. When he did not reply she took a step forward. He stepped in front of her, blocking her path, and the next thing she knew her fist was flying out of her control and knocking into his jaw, effectively sprawling him on the ground with a faint splash.