Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

"What are you guys doing here?" Kay asked, incredulous. She could not believe her eyes. Just when she thought she'd never see the Turtles again, here they were - well, two of them, anyway.

On the other end of the comm, Donnie gave Mikey a sideways glance. "There was an accident at the lab. In my defense, I totally didn't know a Genesis Portal could open without Chaos Energy, or I wouldn't have completed the scientific portion. Not at that exact moment, anyway."

Kay frowned. "You can't open Genesis Portals without Chaos Energy."

Mikey shrugged. "Well, here we are!"

"You did just have a ton of that stuff zapped into you, Kay," Sonic offered. "Maybe the timing just happened to work out."

"The chances of that, though."

Sonic shrugged. "Just saying."

"To be honest, I'm more concerned with how we're going to get back," Donnie said. He looked to Kay hopefully. "Any ideas? You know about this end of things better than we do."

Kay opened her mouth to say she didn't know, then snapped it shut again. I will not say 'I don't know.' I can figure this out. It's a lot easier to open Genesis Portals on Mobius than Earth, seeing as this is where they're all originating. The hard part will be manipulating one to open up to the same time and place that the Turtles are from. But...maybe with the Master Emerald's power, I can make it happen somehow?

Finally she began to nod, slowly. "Maybe."

At that moment a loud screech filled the air, making everyone cry out and cover their ears. When the horrible noise was over, Kay barely had time to register that Donnie and Mikey were asking what was wrong when Princess Sally shouted, "Sunset!"

"Oh, crap!" Sonic scrambled backwards, away from Kay. She turned to him, concerned, as he rushed to explain. "I should have warned you about this, Kay. Something happened to me a couple weeks ago...now when the sun sets-"

He arched his back and yelled as his transformation began, but he needn't have worried. Kay already knew what he would turn into. As darker fur began to grow all over her hero's body and his teeth sharpened into fangs, Tails pointed at the darkening sky and shouted, "Dark Gaia Creatures on the approach!"

"Everyone move! You know what to do," Sally commanded, easily slipping into her role as the leader of her team. She turned to Kay. "Come inside the Sky Patrol. It'll be safer in there."

Kay shook her head and stood up straighter. "No. I can help." Then she turned to the comm, where Donnie was still asking what was going on and Mikey was glancing off-screen, distracted by something. "Sorry, guys. We'll have to talk later. Nighttime on Mobius is dangerous nowadays. I'll contact you as soon as possible." That being said, she disconnected and stuffed the comm into her pocket, caring little for how it would fare in the upcoming battle.

Kay easily fell into Sally's battle formation, joining the outward-facing circle as creature after creature descended upon the island. As Sonic - now in werehog form - roared and slashed through multiple enemies at once with his powerful arms and the others in the group pulled out their various weapons, Kay formed Chaos Spears and fired them as rapidly as if she had never been away for so long. Each Spear hit its target the first time.

After a few minutes the first wave of enemies seemed to come to a close, but she knew there would be plenty more in just a minute or two. Feeling as though her mind was on fire with ideas, Kay turned to Sonic's best friend and said, "Tails, can we fly the Sky Patrol at night, or are we grounded until morning?"

"We can fly it," the fox replied. "But we'd leave the island unprotected, and we'd still have to fight the creatures while airborne."

Kay nodded. "I need to get to Station Square as soon as I can. The Turtles aren't going to know how to fight these things, and I doubt Shadow is going to be patient about that in the middle of a battle."

"Why don't you teleport yourself there?" Sonic suggested, his voice coming out lower in pitch and with a fierce growl. Kay frowned at him, confused. "You are the Emerald's Chosen. You can do things no one else can. And if Shadow can teleport with one Chaos Emerald, you can definitely teleport with the entire Chaos Force at your command."

The second wave of Dark Gaia Creatures made their presence known with a loud screech. Everyone resumed their positions and readied themselves.

"Go, Kay. Help your friends," Sally said.

"But - I can't leave you here like this," Kay protested. And I've never teleported before - I don't know if I can do it correctly.

"We've fought way, way worse than this. And we've survived this many nights, haven't we?" Sonic replied. He growled at the oncoming creatures. "Go! Before they get to the island."

Heart racing, Kay forced herself to close her eyes and clear her mind as quickly as possible. She envisioned the streets of Station Square, focused on them as hard as she could, then took a deep breath. Take me there.

In the next instant she knew it had worked, but not because she opened her eyes. Rather, she could feel the change in temperature and humidity and could smell the difference between the clean air of Angel Island and the distinct human smell of the city. When she did open her eyes Kay felt slightly disoriented. The scenery was completely different, and her senses were not used to such a phenomena occurring, no matter how much Chaos Energy was infused within her now. She staggered a bit, then decided to gently kneel in the road rather than disgrace herself by falling over completely.

When she had regained her composure, Kay looked up at the city to find it in utter disarray. The few creatures attacking Angel Island were like a handful of flies that wouldn't go away compared to the war zone that was Station Square right now. Dark Gaia Creatures were everywhere, and there had to be hundreds of them swarming the streets, attacking whatever humans had been stupid enough to remain outside while the sun went down.

A swarm of about six or seven lunged at her out of nowhere. Kay thought fast and sent a Wave right back at them, effectively disintegrating all of them at once, buying herself a few extra seconds to locate the key figures she was looking for. As much as she hoped that the Turtles had stayed inside HQ during this madness, she knew them well enough to know they weren't going to sit by and do nothing when a battle required their attention - especially a battle of this magnitude. Kay scanned the darkening streets and hillside for a flash of green, a fighting style that was out of place with the rest of the soldiers holding down their fort.

They were nowhere to be immediately seen. Deciding they could handle themselves until she found them, Kay switched her focus to helping the few humans left on the street escape into their homes, then make her way to the hill where Headquarters sat and help defend it with the rest of the soldiers.

Thankfully the number of stranded humans were few, and Kay made quick work of the creatures attacking them. Once they were all safely indoors, she made one final sweep to make sure she'd gotten everyone, then started sprinting for the hill.

She had barely reached the base, beginning to run out of breath, when someone shouting her name caught her attention. Her eyes darted up the hillside to a point about halfway from where she was to the entrance of HQ, where Donnie and Mikey were frantically swinging their weapons and fists at the oncoming enemies, with Rouge by their side.

Target acquired, Kay started running again, plowing up the hill despite her burning lungs, determined to get to her friends before they were eaten alive by this unique threat.

Suddenly Donnie screamed, "Kay, behind you!"

Whipping around as fast as she could without losing her balance, Kay generated a Chaos Shield and felt something collide heavily with it just a split second later. When she let it diffuse, she gasped at the enemy standing before her. It was someone so unexpected that for a moment all she could do was stand there gaping. "Metal Sonic?!"

What is he doing here? He has nothing to do with Dark Gaia's power. Why is he showing up here, now? Kay could think of only one reason, and her eyes darted upwards, sparing just a glance so as not to let down her guard, but a glance was all she needed to see the all-too-familiar hovercraft and its occupant. She clenched her fists and shouted at the sky. "Eggman!"