Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

In light of the newfound Dark Gaia situation on Mobius, Commander Tower had ordered that the break room be transformed into a barrack for the night soldiers who fought off the creatures and protected the headquarters. This is where Kay and the Turtles were sent to rest, along with the two Mobian agents and a fair number of humans.

The Turtles fell asleep rather quickly, despite their protests that they did not require any sleep. They were nocturnal, after all, and had spent their entire night battling enemies that were foreign to them. Kay knew they were anxious to get home - especially considering the time difference between their worlds - but she was glad that they were able to get at least a few hours' rest.

When Donnie's eyes opened again a few hours later and the memory of what had happened and where they were rushed back to him, he sat up quickly and glanced around. He noticed that Kay's bunk was empty, and that was all the motivation he needed to climb out of his own bed and wake his brother. They'd wasted enough time - their family on Earth was undoubtedly worried sick, and they needed to go back.

The eldest of the two Turtles nudged Mikey's shoulder, murmuring for him to wake up.

Mikey pushed his hand away. "Go away, bro. I'm tired."

"We have to get out of here," Donnie insisted. "A few hours here is days back home. Kay's not in her bed. We need to find her and figure out a way to go back to Earth."

"Oh, fine," Mikey groaned as he sat up. "But as soon as we're back I'm reclaiming those last few hours of sleep you just stole from me."

Donnie rolled his eyes, muttered his agreement, and the two slipped out of the barracks as quietly as possible, retrieving their weapons on the way out.

The United Federation Headquarters was a maze if ever they saw one. It took them several minutes just to find someone they could ask for directions, and even after they followed them exactly, they wound up lost again. Eventually Donnie had to convince a soldier to take them directly to where Kay was.

He was only slightly surprised to find that she was outside HQ within a cluster of Mobians all standing close beside a medium-sized airship of some sort. Upon their approach Kay turned to look at them, smiling briefly. Her face - and eyes - said she was very serious.

"Hey, guys. I've been talking to Knuckles about getting us back home."

Interested, Donnie replied, "And?"

"Well...we think we've found a possible way...but I'm less convinced than he is that it'll work." Upon seeing their confused expressions, Kay took pity on them and explained further. "Here on Mobius there are things called Warp Rings, which basically transport people from one spot on the planet to another. They're very hard to get a hold of, but Tails happens to have one handy."

Donnie and Mikey exchanged glances. "Okay?"

"The Warp Rings can get us from one spot to another. The thing is, they usually only work in the present time and on their home planet. So..."

At this point a red echidna stepped forward and continued the explanation. "As the Emerald's Chosen, Kay has the power to manipulate the very fabric of reality. If she focused all her energy on the task, it is possible she could manipulate the Warp Ring's properties to get herself and you two back to wherever it is you came from through time-travel as well as space-travel. However I'm only fifty percent sure that will work at all."

"And I'm sitting more along the lines of twenty percent sure," Kay concluded.

"Wait, wait," Mikey interjected. "You can control time and space? Since when?"

Kay looked at him. "Since I came back here and reclaimed my power."

For a long moment the youngest Turtle was silent. Then he grinned slowly. "Dude...that is majorly awesome."

"Well..." Donnie shifted on his feet. "Would you be willing to try, at least? I mean, what other option do we have?"

Suddenly Kay looked very afraid. "I've performed Chaos Control before, and teleported myself across the planet, but..." She shook her head. "This is beyond anything I've ever tried to do. It may require too much power, and..." And using too much power will kill me so long as I'm still human. I haven't even gotten back to Earth to save it yet. I can't die before I get there!

Sonic put his hand on her shoulder reassuringly. "You can do it, Kay. If you can send Dark Enerjak back to the realm he came from, you can send you and your friends back to yours."

Kay looked at him for a long moment, then sighed and nodded. "Well, you Turtles can't stay here forever, and it is our best bet. Tails," she looked to the fox, "would you be willing to spare that Warp Ring?"

"Of course." Tails reached into his tool belt, retrieved the item, and tossed it to her. Kay caught it easily.

Mikey stared. "That thing is supposed to get us home? How are we going to fit through it?" Kay gave him a look, then flicked the ring into the air. The Turtles watched as it grew to a more portal-like size. "Oh. That's how."

"Okay." Kay took a deep breath. "Let me concentrate."

Donnie pulled Mikey a step back, and all the Mobians around her stepped back as well. Total silence fell over them all as she closed her eyes, focusing hard. For a long while nothing happened, but then the hollow space inside the ring began to flicker, as if trying to decide what channel it was supposed to land on. As it spazzed out Donnie noticed a thin tendril of green seeping out from beneath Kay's eyelids. He barely had a chance to wonder what it was before her eyes snapped open, completely green and glowing with power. The inside of the ring flickered some more for a few seconds, then all at once settled on a very familiar image of a New York City alleyway. It was the one with the manhole that was closest to their home beneath the streets.

Neither of the Turtles uttered a word; they were too stunned by Kay's glowing eyes and the sheer power she must now wield to perform such an incredible feat.

"Go, quick," she demanded suddenly. "I don't know how long I can keep the portal open."

Mikey hesitated. "What if it's not really New York?"

"It's our best chance, Mikey. Now go!" Donnie grabbed his younger brother and them pushed him forward so he was first to step through the warp ring. The older Turtle climbed through behind him.

Suddenly Kay cried out, her knees almost giving way beneath her. The image within the ring flickered.

Without warning, Sonic sped forward and pushed her through as quickly as he could, only caring about how rough an action it was after she was safely back where she belonged. "Sorry, Kay," he muttered as the Warp Ring closed and vanished into thin air.

The small gathering of Mobians stared at the empty space for a few moments. Then, as if none of it had ever happened, Sonic turned to his friends. "All right, guys. The seventh Chaos Emerald is back where it belongs. Let's go save the world!"

~

"We're back!" Mikey cried, pumping his fist in the air triumphantly. "She did it!"

Then Kay's unconscious form fell through the ring at the last moment before it disappeared, and both of the Turtles froze.

"And...she's back, too?" Donnie said with a confused frown.

"I didn't think she'd actually come back. She was so intent on returning to Mobodoon, or whatever the planet's name is."

"Mobius. And I didn't think so, either. I wonder..." Donnie knelt by her sleeping form, and that was when he noticed that she was very pale and gasping for breath. "Oh, man! I can't imagine what using all that power did to her. We've got to get her back to the lair!"

"Are you sure Leo will be okay with that?"

Donnie scooped up the unconscious human. "Do you really think he'll care, under the circumstances?"

"Probably not," Mikeyagreed. He hurried to the manhole cover and slid it aside. "Let's go!"