Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Kay couldn't help but cherish the look on Agent Bishop's face when he noticed he was not actually making contact when he swung his fists at her. She was expertly dodging every punch he threw, as well as some kicks. After several failed attempts her attacker stopped entirely and stared at her.

"How are you doing this?" he demanded.

One side of her mouth curled up in a smirk. "You underestimate me, Agent Bishop."

With a growl the man in black lunged at her again, aiming an angry fist at her face. This time Kay sidestepped and raised her forearm to shove his oncoming blow out of the way. She brought her leg up and kicked him hard in the stomach, sending him sprawling back in surprise.

She tightened the straps of her backpack and glared at him as he regained his composure. Her heart raced wildly in her chest; she hadn't felt so alive in a long time. "You will not touch this Chaos Emerald."

Agent Bishop chuckled darkly. "And where was this resolve when you set out to give the gem to the good doctor, eh?"

"On vacation. But it's decided to return early, just in time to stop me from making a horrible mistake. Thanks to you."

"What will you do? You and those Turtles are dead if you don't comply."

Kay's resolve grew stronger with every word he spoke. She clenched her fists and looked him right in the eye as she said, "Not while I'm still breathing."

He removed his dark sunglasses. "Last chance. Give me the gem, Kay."

"No," she replied firmly.

He came at her yet again, fists flying much faster than before, and it caught her off-guard enough that she stumbled back with every blow that came, even taking a few to her arms and upper torso. Then – in true Kay fashion – her foot found the edge of the sidewalk curb and she fell back completely. She tried to twist to the side but wasn't quick enough.

There was a loud crack as she landed in the road, and all chaos broke loose.

Kay gasped as she felt a strong wave of power shoot from her backpack, through her chest, and up towards the man who was now looming over her. The force of said power caught him full-force and he went flying back, gliding several feet into the air and landing roughly a fair distance away from her. Kay's heart was beyond racing now – it was pounding furiously at her ribcage as though trying to escape a jail cell. She was almost certain she was having a heart attack right there on the spot.

Everything suddenly ached as though she'd run a marathon the day before. She winced as she tried to sit up and regain her composure, knowing that Bishop would be after her again in seconds. Sure enough, she soon saw him standing up and turning to look at her.

And that's when it happened. With his sunglasses off she could now see directly into his eyes, and the instant they made eye contact she felt a flood of new information enter her mind. Everything from his birth to his joining the government to meeting the Turtles to this moment right here in the near-morning darkness of New York City.

Suddenly, Kay knew everything about Agent Bishop.

Her jaw dropped and she gasped a second time as the realization of what had just happened hit her. She was barely aware of his running towards her until the last possible second when he pulled a pistol on her and began to aim.

Then suddenly Raph was there, appearing out of the shadows like the Nightwatcher he was and pulling the agent away from her just in time. The startled villain gave a shout and pulled the trigger. A single shot rang in the air. Kay knew she should stand up and get back into the fight, help Raph beat this guy to a pulp and then get back to the sewers before the police came or the sun rose. But all she could do was sit there on the edge of the road and gape as her body began to tremble uncontrollably.

She slowly slid her pack from her shoulders, reaching with fingers shaking so hard she was sure she would never be able to undo the top flap.

A strong hand grabbed her arm and hauled her to her feet. Kay barely caught her backpack as Raph swung her around to face him.

"What happened, Kay?" he asked. "You had him."

Kay opened her mouth to reply, but then she made eye contact with the red-clad Turtle, and in an instant she knew everything about him as well. They gasped in unison.

"What the—?" he muttered, then shook his head. "Never mind. Let's get out of here. Someone will have heard that gunshot."

"Raph..." She started, but her mouth went dry and she knew she would not be able to finish.

"Tell me later."

He took her hand and pulled, encouraging her to follow him as they darted through the streets that were now becoming lighter as the sun rose in the east. Kay's mind was a whirlwind of thoughts and unanswered questions. There were so many things she didn't understand, so much that did not make sense as to what happened back there. There was no logical explanation for any of it. The power that shot through her, the flood of new information...twice!

The Chaos Force, she thought. Raph led them to an alley with a manhole cover, but instead of moving it aside he gestured towards a fire escape ladder, indicating for her to climb up ahead of him. She did so absent-mindedly. It's the only explanation. But humans can't have Chaos Energy. Their bodies aren't capable of containing it. So why...?

It hit her just as her feet landed on the rooftop. She stared at the brightening sky, sucked in a deep breath of warm summer air, and whispered, "I am the Emerald's Chosen." She heard Raph join her and turned to him abruptly. "Raph. I am the Emerald's Chosen!"

He blinked a few times. "Uh...right. Y'know I still ain't got a clue what that even means."

"The Emerald," Kay muttered aloud, her thoughts taking over so fast she could barely keep up. Her heart was racing. Her body felt like it was flying. Just that one zap of Energy had every nerve ending on high alert. It felt amazing.

She fumbled with the top flap of her backpack for several seconds before finally getting it. She ripped it back and reached for the gem she had carried with her for two long years. Her fingertips touched the cool surface and instantly her whole body relaxed.

This feels right, she realized, bringing it out so she could look at it closer, really see it for the first time in what felt like forever. Raph watched her silently as she turned the gem over in her hands, inspecting it with newfound curiosity and excitement and fear. Then she noticed something she'd never seen before and her heart stopped.

There was a crack in the Chaos Emerald.

 ~

*Author's Note* Hey, readers! THANK YOU so much for being so patient with me during my hiatus. I found I could not effectively manage school, my personal life, and this story all at once, so as much as I hated to, I put "Worlds Collide" on the back burner for a while. I hope to return to regular updates now, but nothing is for certain, so I apologize in advance for any irregularity that may occur. You all are the best. I could never have come this far without your continued support! Thank you for four amazing years on Wattpad! :D