Chapter Twenty-Three

Kay glared at Metal Sonic. "Are you kidding me? Don't you think we have enough of a battle on our hands without your minions coming and making things worse?"

"As much as I would love to join this melee and take you all down," Eggman replied through Metal Sonic's speaker, "I'm afraid these Dark Gaia Creatures are against me as well. So I'll make this as quick as your cooperation will allow."

Kay shouted her frustration aloud. "Let it go already, Eggman! I'm never going to help you."

"The fate of Mobius depends on it, and you know it, you brat!" the doctor yelled. Metal Sonic shifted into a ready stance. "I'm only going to give you one chance to give me the final Chaos Emerald."

One of the creatures attached itself to Metal's back, but he made quick work of it, and that reminded Kay what her priorities were. "I don't have time for this, Eggman. I don't have the final Chaos Emerald - it's with Sonic, where it should be."

Eggman was silent for a moment, but then he spoke again with such vehemence it made her heart stop for a moment. "You miserable girl. I'm going to rip you apart for all the trouble you've caused me."

"You did this to yourself, doctor," Kay replied, acutely aware of the battle raging on around her, and slightly distracted by the fact that no creatures had tried attacking her this whole time. "First by messing with Chaos Control, then by messing with Earth's history. You should have known I'd never help you, even when I thought I had no other option. You lost, Eggman. I don't have your precious Emerald, so get out!"

Metal Sonic lunged for her so fast Kay didn't have any hope of reacting quickly enough. The steel enemy threw her to the ground and pinned her there, his hand coming up to grasp her throat. Eggman's voice came again, growling low in his throat. "I'll kill you, Emerald's Chosen. I will grind your bones into dust."

Kay lay there, gasping for breath, but only for a moment. Her thinking was much faster now, and her need to live was so powerful that the Chaos Energy in her veins rose to defend her before she even made the decision she did. As quickly as she could, Kay thrust her hand out to Metal's chest, where his power core was, and concentrated on creating a Chaos Blast from that exact spot. Luckily for her the power required for such a feat was there in abundance, and the menace was sent flying through the air in several directions, in several pieces, utterly destroyed.

Kay took a breath, got to her feet, and glared at the sky, not caring at all about the threat of being attacked by Dark Gaia's minions. Fueled by anger and high on Chaos power, she lifted herself into the air to hover directly in front of Eggman's craft. "I am the Emerald's Chosen, and my work is not yet finished. Mobius will be saved for you to try and fail to conquer again, I assure you. Sonic will see to that. But this is my warning to you, doctor. Get out of here now and never bother me again, because I can also assure you that your entire existence depends on me. If you destroy me, you will destroy yourself also. I have the power to eradicate you and your world with a flick of the wrist if I so desire, so I dare you to threaten my life again. I dare you."

Silence settled over the two of them then, despite the roars and yells and screeches filling the air all around them. For several minutes, neither of them spoke.

Then at last the doctor muttered, "I wash my hands of you, you miscreant. I hope I never lay eyes on you again."

"Likewise, Eggman."

Then just as suddenly as he'd come, the villain was gone, leaving Kay to hover alone above the city and its battleground.

After a few more moments Kay's pounding heart began to return to its normal pace, settling the Chaos Energy along with it, and the reality of what she'd just said sank in. Of course she hated Eggman and his interference was certainly not welcome at any time, but she'd basically just threatened to kill him if he didn't leave her alone. Threatened to let Earth doom itself if he didn't back off. Where had that come from? She'd never acted quite like that before.

The Master Emerald's power is not to be used for wicked intent. Athair and Tikal's warnings came to her mind. She closed her eyes and forced the evil thoughts from it. She was the Emerald's Chosen. A hero, not a scoundrel like Eggman or Dark Enerjak. She would not give in to the dark side. Never.

~

After Metal's destruction and Eggman's departure, the rest of the battle seemed to go by abnormally fast. Kay could have sworn that she'd only been fighting alongside Rouge and the Turtles for an hour rather than the six or seven it had to have been. Nevertheless, the brightening sky signaled the sun's approach and forced the remaining Dark Gaia Creatures to flee or be disintegrated, and it was in that moment that the Turtles and Kay were finally able to enjoy their reunion.

"Dude, I fought all those bad guys with my bare hands!" Mikey exclaimed, punching the air excitedly. Donnie shot him a withering and weary look.

"One of the soldiers gave you a gun, Mikey."

"Yeah, but before that I was fighting them with my bare hands. It was radical!"

Kay couldn't help but laugh. "I'm glad you guys are okay. Dark Gaia Creatures are serious business."

"Yeah, we got that." Donnie leaned on his bo staff, taking a much-needed break. "How have things been since you returned?" Kay quickly filled him in on the basics of what had occurred, leaving out the bit about her basically becoming a demigoddess and instead going with 'I got my Chaos power back.' The purple-clad Turtle's eyes widened. "Wow, you don't waste any time, do you? That's a lot of stuff to happen in three days."

"Um," Kay frowned, "I've not even been back on Mobius for twenty-four hours yet, Donnie."

"What?" He frowned right back at her. "But it's been three days on Earth."

"Time passes quicker there than it does here. A few minutes on Mobius is an hour on Earth."

Mikey tuned in to their conversation at that point, and he held up his hands. "Wait, wait. So if we've been here all night, which is at least six hours, then how long has it been on Earth?"

Kay shrugged. "Probably another two or three days, I'd imagine."

"Oh, man, Leo is going to be worried sick," Donnie muttered, rubbing his temple tiredly. "We've got to find a way to get back, Kay. Whoa, what?!"

Suddenly both of the Turtles exclaimed and stared at Kay as if she'd sprouted another head. She watched them in confusion, turned around to see if there was something behind her, but only saw the sun rising and turned right back to them.

"What is the matter with you guys? You must be over-exhausted."

"But..." Donnie sputtered, "You have wings!"

Kay raised a brow at him, then swiveled her head to see for herself. She turned it to the left and right, looking up and down, but saw nothing. She shook her head. The guys seriously needed a few hours' sleep or something. "I don't have wings. You're seeing things, Donnie."

"I see them too, Kay," Mikey said.

"You're both exhausted from the battle. You're probably still on Earth time, too. Why don't we all get some sleep, and we can discuss how to get back to Earth in a few hours."

"Won't that mean Leo and Raph will have to worry another day?" Donnie asked.

Kay sighed. "It's for your own good, Donnie. I think Leo will survive."