Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

This figures, Kay thought to herself, cupping the Blue Chaos Emerald in her hands and staring absentmindedly at the jagged crack it now carried. If it were broken I'd know exactly what to do with it. Well, if I was on Mobius, anyway. But a cracked Emerald? I don't know what to do with that no matter where I am in the universe. She lifted her gaze towards the brightening sky. A thin layer of orange sat at the base of a sea of blue that grew darker the further up you looked. Some stars were still visible.

Kay frowned. Human bodies are incapable of withstanding even the smallest portion of Chaos Energy. If I survived that zap I must still be the Emerald's Chosen somehow. Otherwise I wouldn't still be here. I suppose there are some advantages to being favored by the Master Emerald, even now.

As she thought she twisted the Emerald in her hands. Round and round it went, until a sharp jolt of pain shot up her left arm and she hissed, drawing her hand away. That's when she noticed the mark etched into her palm...the exact shape of the crack in the Emerald. Kay stared at it for several moments. How about that? But as with many things recently, she hadn't a clue what it meant. She sighed. I'm sick of not knowing what to do.

"Kay, we should probably be getting back," Raph finally spoke up, drawing her thoughts away from the gem and to him instead. "The sun's coming up. It's going to be hard to avoid people here soon."

"First things first," she replied, glancing over at him. He stood a fair distance from her with his arms crossed, eyeing her carefully. "Did my eyes change color back there?"

He frowned. "Yeah. Freaky. Is that normal?"

"If by that you mean has it happened before, then yes." Kay saw his look of confusion and stood from her position on the floor of the roof, careful to keep her left palm out of his sight for now. "My eyes changing color like that is an outward sign of what's happening in my mind. When they turn green...I'm assuming green?" He nodded. "My mind fills up with new information about a person." She paused. "I know everything about you now, Raph."

The red-clad turtle blinked a few times, looking wary. "Everything as in, everything I've done, or...?"

"Everything. Your birth, your mutation, your thoughts and desires, the actions you've taken. I know everything you've ever said or thought or felt." Kay gripped the Emerald a little tighter for courage. "I know it's hard to believe..."

Raph didn't even hesitate. "I believe you."

It caught her completely off-guard. That wasn't like him at all. She frowned. "What?"

"I believe you," he repeated, never taking his eyes from her. "I saw what you did to Agent Bishop back there. I've seen him take his fair share of punches, but what you did was...different." He shifted his weight, suddenly looking a little uncomfortable. "You know everything about me?"

Kay nodded. "I never tell a soul unless it's a matter of life and death."

"That's not what I'm worried about," Raph muttered. She bit her lip. She knew exactly what he was worried about, but gave him no indication. After a bit of an awkward pause, the Turtle spoke again. "But you knew who my brothers and I were before whatever happened back there. Before the color-changing stuff. How?"

A rush of panic coursed through her then, and Kay forced herself to remain calm. She'd been faced with this type of situation one too many times in her day. She didn't say anything for a long time, honestly trying to figure out what to say that was both accurate and vague.

Actually, she decided, if by some miracle he and the others have no clue how famous they are, perhaps it would be best if it stayed that way. And I can't use the Master Emerald as an excuse this time. She knew it was a total cop-out, but it was the best reply she could give under the circumstances.

"I don't know how to answer that," she said quietly.

Silence settled over them then. A real, total silence as they each considered their own thoughts.

Kay blinked and squinted involuntarily when the first ray of sunshine finally peeked over the horizon. She turned to watch the giant star give light to the world. It had been a long, long time since she'd seen a sunrise, and she still held the opinion that Mobius' were so much better.

Better than twenty-first century Earth? Silver's words rang in her ears.

After a moment of reflection she sighed. This will do.

The sun was blinding now, but it was a beautiful sight. The sky was pink and blue. The last of the night stars were fading away in the brilliance of their superior. The day had officially begun here in New York City. Kay realized that they really should be heading back soon, but there was one more thing she had to do first.

She turned back to Raph, ready to speak, but stopped short when she saw his wide eyes staring above her head into the distance. Startled, she turned around but saw nothing. When Kay looked back he was shaking his head.

"Sorry," he muttered. "Got lost in thought there for a second."

"Oh." Kay quickly refocused her mind and held up the Emerald, crack facing him, and said, "Another interesting thing, Raph."

He peered at the gem's scar. "Was that there before?" She held up her other hand – the one bearing the same exact mark as the Emerald – and watched as his face changed from confusion to even more confusion. And also a hint of oh, crap. "Is that normal?"

"If by that you mean has it happened before...then no." Kay twisted both of her hands so that she was the one peering at the twin marks. "This is probably bad."