Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

The computer on the Sky Patrol beeped twice, catching Princess Sally's attention.

"Incoming message," Nicole reported. "Source unknown."

Sally raised a brow. "Okay...let's hear it." Nicole patched it through, and a moment later the face of the human girl was before her. Sally stared. "What? How are you—"

"Please, princess, there isn't enough time to explain," Kay said in a rush. "I need your help. Eggman is here on Earth, and Dark Gaia isn't far behind. I suspect he's doing something on your end with the Genesis Portals to force it through to this world. I'm sure he's just doing this to spite me, but that's not the point. I know what I'm supposed to do now – I can save Earth and Mobius at the same time. But I need your help."

"Earth and Mobius?" Sally frowned. "What do you mean? All the Chaos Emeralds are here now."

"Yes, but you can't activate their power without the Master Emerald, and I am the Master Emerald now," Kay replied. "You need me to activate Chaos Control to fix your world, and I need your help to get Eggman and Dark Gaia off of mine. I have a plan, but there isn't much time. Will you help?"

Sally hesitated for just a moment. She didn't know this girl – never met her until a couple of days ago. But Sonic had placed his full trust in her, even going so far as to allow her to keep the last Chaos Emerald that they desperately needed without a fight. So after a moment she said, "Yes. We'll help. What do you need?"

Kay explained as quickly as possible. "You and the others need to put the Chaos Emeralds into the Seven Gaia Temples and help keep Dark Gaia from entering our world any further. The Turtles and I will push it and Eggman back through the portals on our end. Once the Emeralds are in place and Dark Gaia is off this planet, I'll use Chaos Control to fix everything at once."

"I understand," Sally replied. "But why do you need to have Dark Gaia offworld? Isn't it enough for the Emeralds to be in place?"

"It might be if I had enough power left, but I used up most of it getting myself and the Turtles back here, and there is no Chaos Energy for me to tap into on Earth. When I use Chaos Control, it will be the last of my power. I can't call on more to force Dark Gaia and Eggman back through to Mobius as well. I'll only have enough to fix your world, which in turn will stop Genesis Portals from opening up here and screwing up history like they've been recently. I'll rescue both planets at once, and that will be the end of this crazy crossover."

"Won't using the rest of your Chaos Energy kill you? I mean...you may be the Emerald's Chosen – whatever that is – but you're still human."

Kay glanced over her shoulder as if checking to make sure she was alone before lowering her voice to reply. "I'm well aware of what will become of me when this is over. But that hardly matters when there's so much at stake, don't you think?"

And in that moment, Princess Sally grew to admire Kay as much as Sonic the Hedgehog himself. She nodded once, firmly. "I agree. We'll do what we can here and keep you informed. Best of luck, and...thank you."

"Thank you, princess."

The screen went black.

Immediately Nicole spoke up. "Sally, how are we going to get all of the Emeralds to the Temples that quickly? Even if we all split up it would take at least a full day, and it's dark outside."

Sally pondered for a moment. Her friend had a good point. Her first thought was to recruit anyone who had super-speed like Sonic and have each of them take an Emerald, but even that would take too long, and they still had Dark Gaia to consider. If only they had a way to get the Emeralds to where they needed to be right now, so they could focus all their fighting energy on Dark Gaia and his minions.

Then she had it. Sally snapped her fingers in triumph. "I know exactly what to do."

~

Kay took Raph's extended hand and climbed out of the sewer into the early morning air. In the distance she could hear the screams of New York's populace as Dark Gaia wreaked what havoc it could on the city. No doubt Eggman was helping in some way. The moron.

Once all the Turtles were topside, Leo approached her. "All right, Kay. You're the leader on this one. What do we do?"

"Keep Dark Gaia from entering the city any further. Do what you can to push him back through those Portals. Eggman, too." She paused, then sighed. "I'm afraid I won't be much help. I might be able to do some fighting, but I can't use one ounce of Chaos Energy until everything on Sonic's end is ready to go. I don't have enough power to get them off the planet and induce Chaos Control. I used too much of it just getting back here."

Raph put a hand on her shoulder. "You worry about what you have to do. Let us handle the bad guys."

Kay gave him a small, grateful smile in reply. Then the five of them hurried to climb the nearest escape ladder to get to the rooftops. Once there Kay looked out into the distance, horrified at the sight of Dark Gaia's presence on her planet. It was one thing to see it on a TV screen, a whole other to see it in person. This was one time she wanted Mobius' bad guys to leave Earth and its inhabitants well enough alone.

"Okay, guys. You know what to do. Now let's do it!" Leo said, holding out his hand. His three younger brothers piled their hands on top of his, then looked to Kay. With a grin she put her hand on top of the pile, and without even needing to be told what to say, she shouted along with them as they all threw their hands in the air.

"TURTLE POWER!"

And with that the brothers were off, automatically splitting into two teams, one flanking right and the other left. Kay stayed where she was, knowing the battle was in good hands as the first rays of dawn peeked over the horizon.

In the stillness of being alone, with no one to gasp and alert her, Kay was unaware that for a few seconds, the sun's rays falling on her revealed a pair of stunning, sparkling green wings extending from her back.