Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

It was cold and dark in the stairwell leading up to the roof of Second Time Around, but Kay knew that she really shouldn't go outside right now, and experimenting with a cracked Chaos Emerald in the basement of an antique shop didn't sound like such a good plan, either. A faint yellow light gave her just enough illumination to see the gem and its crack as she twirled it in her hand, studying it.

For a long while Kay just thought. She wasn't sure what she was going to do to "experiment" with the Emerald, but from now on she'd decided she was not going to let that stop her. "I don't know" was a phrase she never wanted in her vocabulary again.

The Emerald was cool and smooth beneath her fingers, and the feel of it comforted her immensely. It felt like Mobius. Like home. She sighed contentedly and let her gaze drift to the twin mark etched into her left palm. It didn't hurt; it was just a red scar where there didn't used to be one before. Kay lined the two up as best she could, then placed her hand over the Emerald as exactly as possible.

A sharp, painful jolt shot up her arm, startling her. She whipped the two apart and stared at her hand, which was now glowing slightly and buzzing with what could only be raw Chaos Energy. Kay bit back a cry as the pain intensified. Her arm sang with energy it didn't know what to do with, and it wasn't long before she realized that she had to let it out before she lost her arm entirely.

Moving as quickly as she could without dropping the Emerald, Kay flung the door open and shot her arm forward just as a bright green Chaos Spear ejected from it and drilled into the brick half-wall on the roof, leaving a black scorch mark in its wake. Kay's arm was numb now. She watched as the scar on her hand returned to its normal red color and stopped glowing, then focused on the scorch mark.

A Chaos Spear had just come from her. From her. A human carrier. There was no way that was even possible...right?

"You're brave to come out into the open alone," a smooth voice said behind her. Kay startled on the inside but somehow managed to keep a calm demeanor as she stood upright and turned around to face the kunoichi Karai. The black-haired girl was glaring daggers at her as she stepped out of the shadows, slamming the door to the roof closed before stepping in front of it. "I had hoped you would be as honorable as the Turtles. You owe me a debt, young one." She held out her hand expectantly. "Give me the Chaos Emerald."

Kay instinctively clutched the gem tighter, feeling its ever-cool surface, and set her mouth in a straight line. "I can't do that, Karai."

Without any warning whatsoever Karai lunged for her, sword gleaming in the streetlights around them as it slashed through the air towards her again and again. Kay cried out and instantly went into her defensive mode. Thank goodness she was better at that than offense. She dodged four or five blows of Karai's sword before trying to get her attention.

Karai paused for just a moment. She looked slightly confused – but mostly irritated – at the fact that she had not yet hit her target. In the brief pause Kay felt her heart pounding wildly. Something other than adrenaline raced through her veins. The feeling was alien. However she didn't have time to think about it before the kunoichi came bearing down on her again.

Clutching the Emerald in one hand, Kay expertly dodged every swing and strike that came her way. She couldn't help it when her mind again reverted back to her times in gym class in high school. Dodgeball days were always like this – she never got hit, but she rarely hit her opponents, either. It was the price she paid for staying alive, she figured.

The moment of distraction was enough that Kay stumbled a bit during one of her dodges, and Karai instantly took advantage of the slip-up to swing her sword in a downwards arc towards Kay's head. Kay gasped and lifted her left hand to protect herself, wincing as a sharp jolt of pain shot down her arm. There was a flash, and when she looked again Karai had been thrown three feet backwards from where she'd intended to land.