Caught by the Cat

Discontent filled him up when Namjoo smiled all the way through dinner preparation. It shouldn't be like that...she shouldn't be like that. Not if she saw Ki Hoon's father, who seemed the opposite of her when they looked at each other.

Something was unexplained and curiosity perked him, yet he didn't want to intrude.

How had they split up? Why did they split up?

Luhan turned to see his dad with Ki Hoon on his lap; the two of them watching some cartoon together. Ki Hoon probably didn't know who his father was, but when he got older he'd want to know. He'd want answers about why he never grew up with his father and that would hurt him. Luhan didn't want Ki Hoon to get hurt over such matter, especially if he were to become his father.

Ki Hoon deserved to know about his biological father if he was here; well and alive. It was only right that way, but it felt like Namjoo wanted to keep it a secret. Why? Exactly what had happened between them?

If they got married, Luhan wouldn't be able to have a peace of mind if Namjoo didn't have her matters resolved. If she needed help, he'd be there for her. If she needed help talking to Ki Hoon's father, Luhan was more than happy to offer a hand. What unsettled him was the longing in her ex's eyes.

Ki Hoon's father still wanted Namjoo, and Luhan couldn't allow that.

What to do?

+++

Sehun didn't come back, not even when Hayoung stayed after to see all the kids off.

"Lock up?" Her co-worker asked.

Turning away from the papers on her desk she nodded with a smile.

"Don't stay too long."

With another short smile, Hayoung turned away once her co-worker walked out. Drowned in silence and without a sigh she stared at the wall ahead of her. She still recalled how Sehun had left her yesterday in order to go after Ki Hoon's mother. Today he left her again to run after the same woman.

Yesterday when asked about her, Sehun denied knowing her. His actions seemed the opposite of his answer.

What was the truth?

Pressing her lips together she reached for the files inside the drawer of the desk. It was against her good will, but the urge was too strong.

She ended up pulling out Ki Hoon's file. At first she spent a long minute staring at the manila folder, smoothing it over with her hand before finally flipping it open. Papers and records of who his guardian was and other files required for enrollment appeared. Quietly swallowing she glanced through Ki Hoon's record.

Kim Namjoo was the name of Ki Hoon's single mother. There was a blank space in the square of where his father's name should be. Her address and phone number had been provided in the spaces below. Before she knew it she found herself copying it down on paper while her mind replayed the memory of seeing Ki Hoon for the first time.

That day he'd come walking hand in hand with his mother. While Namjoo spoke to the head of the Day Care Hayoung watched him hide behind her leg clutching onto her hand as well as tugging on her pants. She wouldn't forget the face that had caught her attention. The very exact face of her boyfriend's.

How it was possible, she still couldn't find an answer to settle her wonders. Curiosity killed the cat, she knew. She didn't think the truth would hit her as hard as she feared right now.

At the very beginning, she found it amusing how a child could look like her boyfriend. It was a funny thing to think about, but suddenly, since yesterday it wasn't so funny anymore.