Their Son

+++

Hayoung found herself hurrying down the stairs after receiving the maid's call for her. She slowly stopped down the hall when she recognized the voice that belonged to Sehun's mother. Reaching out for the wall she halted to wonder if she should just head back upstairs. Her sixth sense told her that his mother was here to see her about the engagement.

Knowing his mother, she wouldn't blame her for anything. Had she gotten Sehun in some kind of trouble? She hadn't meant for it to be like that...

One of her brows sunk down in worry before deciding that she had no choice.

"Hayoung-ah!" Sehun's mother turned when she appeared at the doorway.

The fire croaked silently in its pit by the chimney and even though the room was warm she still felt goosebumps.

Hayoung bowed in greeting, "I heard you were looking for me?"

"Of course, why else would she be here so late?" Her mother scolded. "You reckless daughter, hurry over!"

Pressing her lips together to hold herself together in patience she walked forward to sit down by Sehun's mother.

"Hayoung-ah," the woman took her hand within her grasp.

Hayoung thought her hands felt smooth like baby's skin. It was perhaps done by the work of expensive lotion with the help of a dermatologist.

"I'm so sorry if my Sehun made you upset in any way, but please, please don't give up on him," his mother pleaded. "You're the only perfect woman my son needs. Give him another chance, hmm?"

"Sehun didn't do anything wrong, really" Hayoung gently spoke. "I'm not upset in any way with him. I just realized we're not happy with each other. If we're not happy together, how can I marry him?"

"Hayoung-ah, don't be afraid. I'm his mother, I will correct his wrongdoings," the woman placed a hand to her chest, above her heart. "Just tell me what you're upset about. If Sehun said anything or did anything that hurt you, I will fix it."

The way she said, "I will fix it," rang a bell in Hayoung's head, but she couldn't quite grasp the meaning of the alarm.

Hayoung shook her head, "Sehun didn't do anything wrong."

"If he didn't, then why call off the engagement? You're reckless!" Her mother scolded.

Hayoung turned to her mother feeling partially irritated with their pressuring her.

"I'm sorry, I have to get to work early tomorrow," Hayoung apologized getting to her feet, "I'm sorry for the trouble I caused."

Sitting at the edge of the piano bench she stared out the window. It was a full moon that night with clear skies. Perhaps it would be warmer out there than in her home. Everything inside her home was so still that she didn't think she'd be able to find the heart in anything.

To her expectation the door opened minutes later and her mother walked in.

"What do you think you're doing?!" Her mother scolded. "Do you know how much value Sehun would have for you?! You two were doing so well earlier! What happened?!"

Hayoung fought train her eyes on the window without turning to her mother.

"Maybe we weren't doing as well as we looked," she said underneath her breath.

"What did you say!?" Her mother bellowed taking a stride toward her and forced her to turn by grabbing her shoulder. "Hayoung-ah! What is wrong with you?! No, this isn't going to do."