Chapter 20: Prey

"Good Morning everyone! We will start in 15 minutes!", Joshua yelled from the stairs. Right next to him is Steven and Harrison who were busy in a conversation.

Joshua is the new scout trainer from what I read in Harrison's paperwork. Is he a criminal? Well, he's a thief who stole his Alpha's journal and revealed it to the pack while drunk. His honey brown hair and short beard emphasize his warm personality. He sure didn't look like a thief. His pale skin makes him ghost-like and his thin body made him look scrawny compared to the muscular men in Dusk Hunt.

The arena is full of trainees. Everyone is in their own teams: some mad-dogging others while some chatting away. The sand from time to time would be kicked up by the wind.

"10 minutes", Joshua yelled again.

"Ok Austry. What plan did you think of?", Daniel asked bringing my attention to the game. Last night, I stayed awake thinking of way to outsmart these more trained scouts.

'Mind-Link me. It's safer than speaking our plans out loud', I replied as I felt someone watching me. I slightly turned towards the stair area of the stadium to see Steven tapping his index finger on his leg as he stared my way. When my eyes met his, he stood up and smirked.

I rolled my eyes and shook my head, 'Creep'.

We mind-linked our plans as we look around the stadium to prevent any wandering eyes to think we were communicating.

Alice then reached into her pockets and took out her earphones. She closed her eyes as she presses play.

'We will outsmart them. That's not too hard we did it before to the human bullies you had, Austry', Alice mind-linked Daniel and I as she fixed her glasses.

Daniel exhaled heavily, he seemed pale.

Alice patted his arm, "Wake up. Don't tense up. It shows weakness you know".

I looked around to see Michael staring in our direction, I furrowed my eyebrows as I stared back.

"Have you shifted yet, Daniel?", I asked Daniel as my eyes go back to meet his brown eyes.

He sighed, "No. Harrison says it may be another year before I'll be able since I'm only 15".

"At least you are young and that's your excuse. I'm not even sure if I'm even a werewolf because I'm 18 and haven't shifted like Alice", then I remembered something that was on my mind before, "Alice, did it hurt when you first turned into a wolf?".

Alice looked at me then removed her earphone. 'Surprised you heard me with that super loud music', I rolled my eyes.

"We are werewolves. We got super hearing", she sticked her tongue at me as I furrow my eyebrows.

"Well, did it hurt Miss werewolf", I said sarcastically.

"Not really. I felt my bones move and the nails pierce out but it was too fast for me to honestly feel anything", she said as she put the eyephone in.

"Also, don't freaking ask me questions when I'm wearing these", she pointed at her earphones, "It's FUCKING annoying!".

I smiled as I rolled my eyes. Seriously? How more times am I going to roll my eyes to something someone says?

I turned to Daniel, he was staring at the ground with a blank expression on his face.

"Hey. Something wrong up there?", I said before smiling to the unintentional joke Alice and I say because Daniel so freaking tall.

Daniel pouted, "You're not funny!", he yelled cutely yet he was still looking at the ground.

"Anyways, what's wrong? You don't look so good or happy", I said touching his shoulder.