My Canadian Idiot

Being home alone, you'd definitely freak out whenever you heard someone open the door. And if you were me you'd grab a bat.

I turned down the music coming from my computer, carefully listening for any more noise. I stayed quiet for a couple seconds before brushing it off, thinking it was my cat, Jello (don't be fooled by the name, he's the spawn of Satan).

Returning back to my work, designing a kitchen to a 50 year old millionaire who's cheating on his wife, but that's not important because I hear a noise again.

I groaned, closing my Mac and getting up. "Alright Jello, stop that."

Walking out of my room I saw a tall familiar man, petting my colorful cat.

"Oh, uh, hi!" Dan said smiling brightly.

I squealed before running up to him and hugging him tightly.

It's been about 3 months since the last time we saw each other, something I definitely wasn't used too. I had recently gotten the opportunity to launch my own interior design business with my friend, Ashleigh. When I was home, Dan usually came back every 2 months or so from touring. But now that I'm also traveling, not being able to see my childhood best friend was awful.

Dan hugged me back just as tight, "hi, little Canadian."

I smiled, he gave me that nickname when we were about 14, I'm 26 now.

~~~

Dan and I agreed to go out for dinner, catching up on anything that has happened.

"Do you have any new clients?" Dan asked, taking a drink of his water.

I smiled, "yeah! We got a CEO of this big company to have us design his new penthouse in New York!"

He smiled, "that's great! So are you going to New York then?"

I shook my head, sometimes Ashleigh and I were able to work from home and this was one of the times. "We asked if we could work from home and then send the plan to him."

Dan nodded, "that's good."

"Definitely. So how long are you staying here?" I asked.

He smiled, "for a couple months."

"That's amazing!" I squealed.

He laughed, nodding his head in agreement.

We talked and talked and talked until we were practically the last ones in the restaurant. When we did leave, I pulled my phone out checking the time and seeing it was already 11.

"Do you want me to drive you to your place?" I asked Dan.

He shrugged, "is it okay if I crash at your place?"

I smiled, "movies?"

Dan grinned, "Jurassic Park?"

~~~

It was around 2 AM when Dan's phone rang, causing me to rub my tired eyes.

Dan got up from the couch and walked into the kitchen and began pacing around, something he did whenever he was on the phone.

"No, I'm with the Canadian idiot. I'll be home tomorrow morning." He replied to whoever he was talking to.

"Noon?" Dan asked, "yeah, yeah, that's fine. Alright, bye."

I looked over the couch to Dan who hung up.

"Kyle." He replied before sitting back down next to me

I nodded, "I'm heading to bed."

Dan nodded, "alright. Do you think you'll be able to drive me to the studio at 11?"

"Yeah," I replied quietly before grabbing my cat and heading to my room.

I placed Jello on my bed, getting dressed in a T-shirt and sweat pants before sliding into bed.

It wasn't long before I heard Dan head off to bed.

It was nice to have my best friend back. Very nice.

~~~~

Look who's writing a book again!!! I have some awesome plans for this book, and if you read my last one, apologies once again. I'll try and update every week for chapters that aren't written yet and every other day for chapters I have in drafts. So I hope you guys enjoy this book!
- lots of love, Vanina.