Chapter Thirty- Nine ~ Plan Gone Wrong

Marc POV

I must have fallen asleep. Looking at my watch I had gotten a whole five minutes. Stretching out my arms, I yawned. There was no way I could rest knowing Melanie was lying in that bed. Turning to the screen, she just laid there. I could hear the beeps of the machines and the repetition was driving me bananas.

I wanted to hit and break something. Twice she had been attacked and the common link was me. Was I cursed? This didn't make any damn sense. I had fallen for a woman and her only benefit was hurt and pain. When Tony tried to kill her my heart roared at the thought of her being taken from me. This was worst as I wasn't there to protect her or catch her when she fell.

I didn't like for other people to tell me what I couldn't do. I loved Tasha like a sister and I respected her profession but it was no way I could just lay here and watch Mel on that screen. I needed to be close to her, to touch her and to tell her everything was going to be okay.

I slipped on my shoes and headed out the office. Peeking down the halls the nurses were busy so I took the elevator and headed down to Mel's room. I could just sneak in, have a seat and wait. I wouldn't bother her, but I had to be near.

When I made it down to the floor, they were calling a CODE BLUE, and people were rushing in the opposite direction. It gave me a perfect opportunity to be unseen. I made it to the door and opened it. Easing in, a small lamp was on so I turned it off and the small machine lights glowed in the dark. Walking up to the front of her bed, I stood there watching her. Even lying here still, she looked like Sleeping Beauty. Whatever I had to do to make her better I would.

Walking over to the side of the bed, I touched her hand. It was warm. Staring down at her I swore I felt her hand move. Looking back, it did but quickly it relaxed. My heart flipped for joy and at that moment I had a feeling she was going to be alright.

I could hear someone talking in the hall so I eased back in the corner. The door opened and a nurse that had introduced herself as Veronica earlier walked in. She checked all the tubes and wires along with the IV fluids. She touched Mel's hand and said, "come on Ms. Guillory you need to pull through this, there is a very handsome man waiting on you to recover."

She waited and then made some notes and walked out. I remained in the dark corner sitting in the chair. Moments later the door opened and another nurse that I had never seen before walked in. Half of her face was covered in darkness. Even from a distance and the reflection from the light in the hall, something felt off.

She turned on the bathroom light and she walked to the closet grabbing a pillow from the top shelve. Walking nervously towards Mel, she undid Mel's oxygen from her nose, raised the pillow in the air and brought it down to her face. My adrenaline instantly kicked in and the next thing I knew I was flying in the air and the woman screamed.

It felt as if time stood still. I could hear my heart thundering out of my chest and vibrating in my ears. My mind was replaying every step, every movement of the person that had come into my domain and robbed my house. I felt myself being pulled up but my hands were gripped around something tightly.

"Sir! Sir!" Someone called out. Who was it? It didn't matter because whoever this person was, was going to regret that they were ever born.

"Sir!"

"Oh God Marc, what are you doing?" The voice asked. I knew that voice.

"Allen!"

"Marc let her go," the deep male voice said in my ear. "Let us handle it, let her go."

For just a moment my eyes traced to my hands. They were wrapped around the throat of the woman whose hands were loosely around my wrists. Her pale skin, pink lips and slanted eyes stared back at me.