[one] i remember

집이 되어버린 슬픔을the sadness that became a home

집이 되어버린 슬픔을
the sadness that became a home

jungkook awoke with a start to the sound of a loud crash coming from the other room.

he sat up bewildered in his bed as he listened to the muffled screaming of his parents.

the beautiful language of korean he loved so much was marred by the venom on their tongues as they used it maliciously to hurt each other...

as if their own hands weren't enough to do the trick.

"you bastard!" shouted his mother. "you fucking bastard! you insolent, worthless piece of garbage, who the hell do you...! what the fuck is wrong with...?! all you ever do is...! you deat-beat son of a...! why can't you...! for once, why don't you get off your miserable, useless...!"

bits of her sentences were too muffled to hear, but jungkook knew all too well what she was saying.

he must have heard this same fight they'd had a million times, and it always ended the same way...

jungkook let a miserable tear fall from his eyes, digging into the gruesome, fresh set of bruises on his thighs inflicted by his father's favorite baseball bat with his nails as hard as he could, trying to make physical pain overpower his emotional pain. physical pain was always so much easier to —

another crash, this time louder, making jungkook jump and sob in terror.

it sounded like glass.

if his father heard him crying again, he knew he'd be in for it.

his father didn't tolerate weakness.

in fact, he preyed on it.

"how dare you you fucking sp...?! do you think you can talk to me like that?! i am the man of this fucking house, you fu...! you should be bowing down on your hands and knees, begging for me t...! you know why?! because you're worthless! no one, not even your own...! i honestly can't believe I even b...!you're nothing more than a stupid, worthless wh....!"

jungkook threw the flimsy, secondhand comforter off of his freezing body and rose to his feet as quickly as he possibly could. he knew where this was going.

he could hear his mother attacking back, only making it much worse for both of them.

he had to leave.

he had to get out of there.

he had to save himself from the inevitable beating that was to come if he stayed much longer—

just as the thought crossed his mind, jungkook shot out of bed, practically sprinting to his closet. there were hardly any clothes on the hangers; they were all on the floor in a dirty pile because their apartment didn't have the luxury of a washer and dryer, and they didn't have the luxury of money to go to the laundromat.