Prologue

*5 years ago*

Bethany Lisa Wood sits in her last day of highschool-ever. She has no plans for her future. Only to get out of the godforsaken town she’d been calling home for the past 19 years of her life. She knew how she was supposed to be sad today, but couldn’t force the grin off her face as she handed in her vocab workbook, saying goodbye to Mrs. K for the last time.

“You need to go to college, get a good education, so you can support a family.” Her mother began telling her before she was even in high school.

“You need to go to college to be successful.” Her teachers warned.

“Let’s apply to these colleges, as a start.” The guidance counselors said, handing her applications upon applications that just ended up in the garbage can.

Bethany didn’t know what she wanted to do, but she knew she was going to prove the world wrong by being successful without going to college. Something within her needed to shove it in the faces of her single mother-who had not been very pleasant to her, her teachers-who taught her useless math and science and nothing about the way the real world works, and the guidance counselors who landed her in therapy for 2 ½ years, saying “She’s depressed.” She needed to bash the people who stated, “You’ll never get a job with all those tattoos and piercings,” “Those tattoos and gauges will look ugly when you’re old.” Her friends who slowly left her when they realized how different Bethany was from the other girls, and the boyfriends who cheated on her just because she didn’t give them what they wanted.

The being used.

The being unappreciated.

The being Bethany, for a full 19 years had taken its toll.

And as she steps out of the Crown High School for the last time, she feels nothing but happiness, something foreign and unknown to her.

People push into her and run past her, hugging others and crying like babies. They still had the graduation ceremony that night, why waste the tears (she knew she wouldn’t cry,) before the real goodbye?

She begins the mile walk home, smile on her face.