twenty seven

* TWO WEEKS LATER *

.
.
.
.
.

- Natalie -

As I dragged the last of my luggage out of my room, I put it in the trunk of Alex's car as my mom stood there, dramatically staring to the wind.

You know, like in the movies.

"Mom." I breathed out as I set my hands on my hips. "I think that's the last of it."

"Is it really? What about your mami?" She pretended to cry as Alex laughed from the passenger seat.

"Mom, don't be like that. I'll visit you as often as I can, I swear." I groaned, as she pulled me into a bone crashing hug and kissed me on the cheek repeatedly.

"I remember when you were just a little baby! When you were just learning to walk and explore the world." She blubbered, setting her head on my shoulder.

I smiled weakly, as I patted her head and hugged her tightly.

"Now you're turning nineteen soon and you're going off to college far, far away--"

"It's an hour drive mom, I think I'll be okay." I chuckled.

"Still. It's going to be so lonely without you here." Mom pats my cheeks, pouting slightly.

"But it is what it is, so get in that car and scram. I'll go watch reruns of more telenovelas and keep myself content." She waved me off, playfully nudging me away.

Alex was dying of laughter, I didn't see why it was so funny but I laughed anyway.

"I'll call you when I'm all settled in on campus." I smiled, pointing a finger.

"Bye Alex! Make sure my daughter isn't doing drugs!" Mom called as I got into the driver's seat.

I rolled my eyes as she snickered.

"You know, this is your car right?" I said.

"Yeah, what about it." She casually shrugged, leaning her head on the window.

"Well I don't know, aren't you supposed to be driving?"

"I said I was too lazy geez, can't a girl get a break." She joked.

"You are the laziest of all the lazies."

"I'll take that as a compliment." Alex reached forward, turning on the radio.

As my hand grips the steering wheel, we get to a stoplight and all of a sudden, she grabs my wrist and holds it to her face.

"Woah." I jumped slightly. "What are you doing?"

"You really took it all seriously, huh?" She smiled, glancing over at me.

I nervously pulled my hand away, looking away as well. I didn't really know what to say.

I think it's been about.. A few weeks ever since Harry left and she decided to not bring it up until now though. Technically she lowkey brought it up, but whatever.

"I'm like your best friend, Natalie. You know you don't have to hide it.''

"Yeah, but still. You might think this is all just a stupid long distance thing that will probably not even last that long but I don't know what got me to get so attached to him."

"It isn't stupid. It's like an epic romance you know? Like Romeo and Juliet, except the dying for each other part." She nodded at what she was saying.