thirty eight

[ 12 HOURS LATER ]

-

-

- Natalie -

"Your turn.'' I said, sitting across from Louis on the couch in the waiting room.

He moves a red checker piece up and over two of my pieces as I pouted.

''Check mate.'' He smirked as I sighed.

''Yeah, I suck. I still owe Alex two dollars from a game of checkers I betted on in the fourth grade.''

"Two dollars is nothing, I'm sure she already forgot about it." Louis shrugged nonchalantly, as we both reset the pieces back to their original space.

The next happening had taken me, shocking me when a nurse and a teary eyed Alex following closely behind her.

"Nat." She cried, her fingers digging into her messy blue hair as I stared at her in confusion, the checker falling from my grasp.

"I-I don't know what happened, all of a sudden the line just w-went flat.. He was rushed to the emergency room, doctors and everything."

My heart dropped, as I felt my breath hitch, Louis cursing as we both had ran with the nurse, following her to where they had taken Harry.

"He can't.. No. No, God please don't." I whimpered, pressing a hand to my face as I had sobbed, wishing for this feeling to go away.

"You don't understand, I can't lose him." I pleaded to the nurse, as I gripped her arm tightly, shaking from the shock that had managed to course through my adrenaline filled veins.

"Honey, we are trying our best but we can't have anyone in or out right now. Trust me." The nurse sadly broke it to me, as I looked at Louis who had tears in his eyes as well.

"I have to go in there, Alex.. Louis." I had cried, pounding on the locked door with my hands as I felt the lump in my throat become heavier.

"Natalie, can I talk to you?" Louis breathed out, forcing the sad expression on his face away as he had scrunched his nose, motioning me over.

He had tugged my wrist, pulling me aside, my breathing jagged as I searched his eyes for any guidance possible.

"I want you to listen to me when I say this. But leaving this place, you have to realize there might be a possibility we leave without him. And I'm sorry, Natalie but it is the way it has to be. You've just got to hold it together for me, breathe and just hope for the best. Alright?"

I remained silent, warm tears helplessly leaving my eyes as Louis pulled me to him in a reassuring and warm hug.

"Did you hear me Natalie?" Louis searched for my glance, as I gulped, nodding once.

"Yeah, okay." I whispered, burying my face into my hands as he wrapped me in his arms, not letting me go. "I love him, Louis. All this time, it's been him. I just want him to know I would have never let go, and even though the distance got to us, I would never let it happen again."

"He knows, I'm sure of it." He told me softly, stroking my hair as he had set his chin on top of my head.

Anxiously, the three of us stood near the entrance of the ER, Alex now holding me in her arms as she tried to calm me from crying.  

-

-