Chapter 1 - New York, New Life

Taylor's P.O.V.
"And that is that!" I grinned to myself, pressing 'Send' on the computer screen. I sat back in my chair, and let out a content sigh. It was Friday night, and I'd done all my work on time. Brilliant! And best of all, it was my two-year anniversary with my boyfriend, Ben. Smiling, I took out my phone from the depths of my bag. I dialled Ben's number and waited as the phone rang. And it rang, and it rang. I rolled my eyes as his voice mail message sounded through the phone, and I hung up. He must be still at work, I thought sadly and I rested my head back in the chair.

"You alright, Tay?" I looked at the desk beside mine to see my best friend Kaya, looking at me with her head tilted to the side.

"Yeah, I'm good," I put on a weak smile.

"Nothing from the boyfriend then, I'm guessing?" Kaya said sympathetically.

"Nope," I sighed, "He's just working late, I guess."

"But it's your two-year anniversary today!" She cried, "Surely he'd make a special effort to get out of work on time for once?"

"I'm glad someone else remembers," I laughed lightly, "No don't worry. I'll just go home, take a shower, and we'll celebrate when he gets in."

"Mm, you're a nicer girlfriend than I would be," She giggled, "Well, have a good evening, and message me if you want someone to come round and beat up your forgetful boyfriend." I laughed in reply, and waved to Kaya as she headed down the corridor. Continuing to giggle quietly, I slung my coat on over my arms and shoulders, and hoisted my bag to my shoulder. I signed out at reception, and made my way out onto the streets of New York. I loved this city. It was just so magical, especially at this time of year, when there was a light dusting of snow on the streets. Well, sidewalks and avenues I guess. Smiling up at the hazy purple sky, I started on my journey home. Our apartment lay on the outskirts of the city, and it only took me twenty minutes to walk home. Ben had always said how he didn't like the idea of me walking home at night, on my own, but I'd said to him countless times that I was fine! I could take care of myself.

My keys rattled in the bowl as I threw them down in the hallway. I closed the door behind me, and walked into the living room.

"Honey? Are you ho-" I began to ask, but I was quickly cut off by a large box that stood in front of me. However, I only noticed the box, once I had tripped over it and landed on my arse on the hard wooden floor.

"Seriously?" I groaned, looking at the cupboard lump that I had fallen over. I'd asked Ben to sort out his stuff months ago. And he still had his boxes of stuff all over the apartment. Bloody fantastic. I got to my feet, and shifted the box into the corner of the living room. Wiping my forehead with the back of my sleeve, I chucked my coat on the back of the sofa and walked up stairs to our bedroom. Time for a shower. I let the hot water soak my skin, sending tingles down my spine as the water droplets fell down my back. Once I'd washed myself and my hair, I wrapped a white fluffy towel around under my arms, and let my dark hair fall in wet curls over my shoulders. Just as I started running my fingers through my hair, I felt two strong arms wrap themselves around my middle. I let out a small yelp, and jumped.

"Hey, hey it's just me babe," Ben grinned, looking down at me with his forest green eyes.

"Oh, hey honey!" I sighed, "You made me jump!"

"Yeah, sorry about that," He laughed, "I wanted to surprise you!"

"Yeah, well. Wait!" I cried, "You weren't meant to see me till later! I've not got any make-up on or anything!"

"So how would I be disappointed?" He smirked, running his fingers up and down my arms. I rose my eyebrows at him.

"What?" He asked innocently, "After all, it is our two-year anniversary!"

"Well," I whispered in his ear, brushing my bottom lip against his ear lobe, "I thought you'd forgotten."

"How could I forget?" He smirked, "Now, how about we get into something more comfortable?" Before I knew what was happening, Ben swooped me off my feet, and picked me up bridal style. Still in nothing but my towel, might I add.

"Ben!" I shrieked with laughter, as he carried me to the bedroom.

"What? You want me to drop you?" He laughed, holding me just above the bed.

"You tell me!"