Chapter 35 - You Okay?

Taylor's P.O.V.
As soon as Thomas had pulled up in the hospital car park, I was out of the car in a flash. I heard Thomas close behind me, shouting out my name, but my only focus was to see Sydney. I burst through the front entrance, and into the silent and empty reception. The only noise in the entire room was the slow typing of the man behind the reception desk.

"Hey hey, excuse me," I gasped for air as I came to a halt at the desk, "My sister Sydney Brooks, well, Sydney Thomson. She's just been in a car crash and we were told she was coming here."

"Um, I'm sorry, we don't have a Sydney Thomson here," The man replied, checking through his computer.

"No, that's impossible," Thomas shook his head, "She received a call from the ambulance crew. They said they were bringing her here."

"Well there is a chance that they haven't arrived yet. Just give me a second and I'll check the arrivals database," The guy flicked through a couple files, and scratched his chin.

"Okay, there is a Sydney Thomson on her way here now. She should be here shortly. Miss, if you take a seat then I can let you know when she's arrived and when you can see her."

"Yeah, but how long will that be?" I cried, hitting the desk with my hand. I felt Thomas put his hand on my shoulder, but I shrugged him off.

"I don't know, miss. But if you just take a seat-" But something else had caught my attention. Sirens were wailing outside, and blue lights flashed on the walls. I could hear people shouting outside, and metal wheels rolling against gravel. The front doors suddenly flew open, crashing against the walls, and paramedics came running through with two stretchers. Sydney and Sam. They both had masks covering their mouths, and blood covered their heads. There was more dried blood on their arms, and I couldn't see their legs for they were covered with some sort of blanket. But that wasn't what terrified me the most. Blood soaked the blanket that covered Sydney's lower half, and it felt as if all the breath had been knocked out of me.

"No!" I screamed, rushing forward as the paramedics ran past me. Numerous people shouted at me, and tried to push me away from them, but I fought hard.

"Miss, you're going to have to take a seat!" A man in a green paramedic suit tried to keep me calm, putting his hand forcefully on my shoulder.

"No, I have to see my sister! I have to see my sister!" I cried, thrashing against about three men. My arms flailed as I tried pushing past them, but they were stronger than me. From behind me, Thomas grabbed me round my middle, and pulled me away from the guys as they ran off after Sydney and Sam. I screamed out in pain as Thomas had grabbed me by my injury, and I collapsed to the ground, no longer fighting against the men around me.

"Oh my God, Taylor!" Thomas yelled over me, dropping to the floor and turning me over.

"Hey, what's wrong with her?" A woman paramedic asked nervously.

"She-she's injured," Thomas cried, lifting the side of my shirt to see the deep cut that I had got earlier. Groaning from the pain, I looked over at my injury and my head swam. Blood had soaked through my shirt, and the cut was dark and deep.

"Okay, she needs to get to a bed," The woman instructed, turning her head to another paramedic, "Jack, we need another room. You got one?" The guy named Jack said room 101 was available, but that there were no stretchers to take her up there.

"Brilliant," The woman sighed, looking back at me, "Hey, do you think you can carry her."

"Yeah," Careful not to hurt me further, Thomas slid his arms underneath and around me and picked me up bridal style. I winced in pain as my side brushed his, and no matter how hard I concentrated, I could feel myself slipping away.

"Taylor, come on Taylor! Stay with me!" Thomas said urgently, quickening his pace as he followed the paramedic woman. But my eyes felt heavy, and the last thing I remember seeing was my sister being rushed down the corridor, and through a set of doors.

Three hours later...

My eyes fluttered open, and the view of a hospital room met my eyes. My eyes widened with fear as memories flooded back, and I tried sitting up, but yelping in pain, I collapsed back into my bed.

"Hey, hey! It's alright!" Someone was holding me down on the bed as I struggled to sit up again. Looking down at my side, I noticed a large bandage around my middle, with a small patch of red liquid seeping through. Blood. Frightened, I looked to see who was holding me down, and there was none other than Thomas. His hair was a mess, and his eyes looked bloodshot. I stopped fighting against him.

"Oh my God, love," He sighed, tackling me with a bear hug, "You scared the hell out of me!"

"Wha-what happened?"

"Your injury got infected," He sighed, sitting back in the chair next to my bed and running a hand through his hair, "Just as they were taking Sydney and Sam away, you collapsed and fell unconscious. We brought you right here, and the nurses cleared you up."

"Wait, what time is it?" I asked hurriedly, my thoughts going to Kaya and the rest of the gang. What on earth were they thinking? How long had we been away?

"Um, 7:00pm," He checked his watch, "I called Dylan and told him what's happened."

"What'd he say?"

"Well, he was speechless at first. But then he said to call him when we find out anything, and he'll come out here if we need him."

"Hm," I mumbled. I saw Thomas tilt his head to the side, and he took my hand in his.

"You okay?" He half smiled, wiping away a stray tear on my face.

"Yeah," I nodded, "Have you heard anything?" Thomas' smile fell.

"No," He said simply, "Nothing yet." My hopes faded, and I looked down into my lap.

"Hey, she's going to be okay," Thomas soothed, rubbing my back gently.

"Yeah, but what about the baby?" I whispered, placing my head in my hands, "You saw what a mess she was in! There's no way her baby survived." Thomas fell silent. He knew as well as I did, that there was no chance that her baby would have survived a crash like that.

"Excuse me?" A small voice broke the silence. Both Thomas and I looked up to see a small woman in a white overall. She was carrying a clipboard.

"How are you feeling?" She smiled slightly, coming nearer to the bed and closing the door behind us, "You're lucky you had your boyfriend here with you! He hasn't left your side!" I felt my cheeks get slightly hot, but there were more important things at hand here.

"Do you have news about my sister?" The woman looked down at her clipboard, and let out a breath.

"Um, well, she was in a stable condition. When we got her here, her breathing was extremely shallow, but after some surgery and medication, she seemed to be making a full recovery." The woman fell silent, and Thomas and I looked at each other.

"And?" Thomas pressed.

"She, she didn't make it."