Chapter 52 - Get Her Back

A week later...

Taylor's P.O.V.
"Yes! I'm coming, I'm coming!" I groaned, frustratedly searching around the kitchen drawers for my passport. The taxi driver had been buzzing me from the lobby repeatedly now for bloody ten minutes. Sure, I'd been down there earlier to pack my bags into the car, but I had to come back up because I hadn't packed my passport in my satchel; and of course, I couldn't find it anywhere in the flat.

"I swear that you were in here a minute ago!" I lifted my bag up onto the kitchen table and shook its contents all over the surface. My purse, my keys, my phone, my notebook. Nope, no passport!

"Come on! I literally had you on the bloody table and now you decide to- Ahah! I found you!" At last my hands came across the little red book, which just so happened to have been placed on the back of the sofa. Figures.

"Okay now I'm coming!" I screamed at nobody, scooping my stuff back into my satchel and rushing for the door. I went to take a quick look back at my empty flat, but couldn't bring myself to do it. So instead, I slammed the door shut and hurried down the stairs.

"Right, have you got your passport now?" The driver asked impatiently as I piled myself into the back of the taxi.

"Yes, Gatwick airport please," I said politely, despite the fact that this guy was getting on my last nerve.

"Finally," He said under his breath as he pulled the car out of the car park. Rolling my eyes, I pressed the side of my head to the window and looked up at the block of flats that had been my home for the past year. 'Goodbye' I thought sadly, my eyes lingering on Thomas' window for a second longer before I averted my gaze to my phone and plugged in my earphones. I hadn't told Thomas that I was leaving for New York - there was no point. We were both going our own ways now. Me with my job and home in New York. Thomas with his life with Bella. There was no future for us.
Sighing, I pulled out my earphones and as my music played on shuffle, I opened up a new message to Dylan. Only Kaya and Sam and the kids knew I was going back to New York, and I thought that out of all the people who should know I was leaving, it was Dylan.

Me - Hey Dyl. So, I've made my decision and I'm going back to New York. There's nothing left for me here, and I've got stuff I need to sort out back home in New York. I found out Ben's been cheating on me all along, so I guess I can say goodbye to that jerk then. Thanks for being my friend. Bye.

I hit 'send' and leant my head back against my seat. 'Back to December' by Taylor Swift started playing and I closed my eyes as I listened carefully to the lyrics.

I'm so glad you made time to see me.
How's life? Tell me how's your family?
I haven't seen them in a while.

You've been good, busier than ever,
We small talk, work and the weather,
Your guard is up and I know why.

Because the last time you saw me
Is still burned in the back of your mind.
You gave me roses and I left them there to die.

So this is me swallowing my pride,
Standing in front of you saying, "I'm sorry for that night,"
And I go back to December all the time.

It turns out freedom ain't nothing but missing you.
Wishing I'd realized what I had when you were mine.
I'd go back to December, turn around and make it all right.

I go back to December all the time.

Before I knew it, the taxi had pulled up outside Gatwick airport. Sniffling a little, I dragged myself from my seat and pulled my bags out after me. I paid the git in the front seat, who at first gave me the wrong amount of change and I had to correct him that £2 was not the same as £4.50, and then was left in the car park outside the airport entrance. Well, here goes nothing.

Thomas' P.O.V.
I've been working up the courage to tell Taylor how I feel about her now for a week. I've seen Bella only once in this last week, as she came to collect her belongings, but there was no awkward silence between us or anything. Instead we just had a friendly chat, and I helped her pack up her stuff. After everything that had happened, I'd promised her that we could still be friends. I didn't want to lose the friendship we had, and even if we weren't going out, I still wanted to be friends. That's what it had been like with Taylor. That's why I had to change things. Well it's now or never, Thomas. Do it.

Just as I had begun to make my way to the front door, someone began banging against the door with their fist. Confused and a little startled, I jogged the rest of the way and pulled open the door.

"Wait, Dylan?" I asked in shock as Dylan stood there with his hands on his knees.

"Oh thank God I caught you," He said breathlessly, "We've got to go! We've got to go now!"

"Wait, what are you talking about?"

"Taylor," He panted, "She, she's gone back to New York!"

"Wait, what?" I cried, "Dylan, what are you talking about?"

"She's on her way to the airport now!" He replied, wiping his brow with the back of his hand, "We've got to go there!" But I was way ahead of him. I hastily grabbed my coat from the stand beside the door and bolted through the door.

"What's happened exactly?" I called over my shoulder as both Dylan and I tore down the stairs.

"She had a fight with Ben or something," He shouted back, bursting through the lobby door after me, "Found out he has been cheating on her all this time and that nonsense he came with about you sleeping with her was all a lie!"

"That bloody-" I said under my breath, "I swear I'm gonna kill that guy!"

"Yeah, well let's focus on getting you to that airport," Dylan said, looking up at me over the roof of his car, "After all, you're the only one she'll listen to."

"Wait, why me?" I breathed heavily from my sudden outburst, "Why not you?"

"Because you love her mate!" Dylan laughed sarcastically, starting the engine up, "And she bloody cares about you too! Look, I know what actually happened between you two that night, and how you didn't cheat on her. I also know that despite the fact that you're together with Bella, it's Taylor you're meant to be with. She needs you as much as you need her!"

"Okay then," I sighed, running a hand through my hair, "Let's go get her back!"

Half an hour later...

"Dylan drive faster!" I cried frustratedly as we sped down the motorway, "We're not going to get her if you drive this slow!"

"Hey, I don't want to go to jail!" He exclaimed, although he sped up a little, "We're only a minute away from the airport!"

"Okay, I guess you're right!" I sighed, slouching in my chair. I had to take it easy. We were going to get there on time, but it was whether or not we could catch Taylor before she went through security. On our way to the airport, I'd told Dylan everything that had happened with Bella and I. Sure, Dylan had sounded a little shocked at first, but I couldn't help but notice the slight smile that tugged on his lips. He knew it all along, didn't he? But that wasn't the only thing that had caught my eye. A set of red lights flashed up ahead, and I squinted my eyes and sat up to get a closer look.

"Ur, Dylan?" I pointed up at the traffic we were about to hit, and Dylan stepped on the brakes.

"Oh God!" Dylan groaned as we came to a halt, "Where did this come from?" Right in front of us, was the longest line of cars and trucks that I'd ever seen before in my life. But that wasn't the worst part. Oh no no. They were all heading for the airport.

"We're never gonna make it!" Dylan hit the wheel in frustration, "What are we going to do?" But my mind was racing way ahead of his, and I ripped off my seatbelt.

"Maybe you aren't gonna make it mate," I said hurriedly, kicking my door open and jumping out of my seat, "But I am." With that, I broke into a run. I didn't care about the fact that there were cars on either side of me, or that I was running down a bloody motorway. I had to get my girl back.