Chapter 2 - Lonely Morning

Taylor's P.O.V.
Bright white light flooded into the room from a small gap in the curtains. As my eyes fluttered open from my night's sleep, I had to shut them quickly to hide them from the blinding light. With my eyes now squinted, I let out a small yawn and stretched my arms. A smile spread across my face when memories of last night flooded into my mind. Let's just say, it was an anniversary well spent. Giggling to myself, I rolled over on my side to give Ben a good morning kiss. But I was met with an empty bed. Confused, I turned back around and looked for my phone. I found it lying on the floor, tucked just under the post of the bed. Groaning, I stretched out my fingers and grabbed it. One message. From Ben. Of course. Sighing, I sat up cross legged and ran a hand through my hair as I brought the message up on my phone.

Hey babe,
I'm sorry but I had to go into work this morning for an important meeting. Will be home no later than around six.
Love you x
P.S. Have fun last night? ;)

I laughed at that last part and rolled my eyes. He could be such a cheese-ball sometimes! But what time was it? I checked my alarm clock. 12:00pm. What kind of meeting lasts six hours? Letting out one last sigh, I threw the covers off of my legs and jumped out of bed. I pulled on a pair of black jeans and made my way to my wardrobe. My hands flicked through jumper after jumper, but I wasn't happy with any of them. My hand stretched towards the very back of the wardrobe, when I saw something glitter in the darkness. Frowning, I pushed all my clothes to the opposite side of the wardrobe and my eyes fell upon a dress. A long, deep purple dress, with a flowing skirt that hung down to the floor. Purple lace covered the bodice and shoulders, and a small piece of purple fabric was tied around the waist. A small gasp escaped my mouth, and I clasped a hand over it. I hadn't seen that dress in over three years. It was the one I had worn to Ellie's wedding. It was the one that had been so perfect. It was the one Thomas had bought me.

Tears welled in my eyes as I pulled the delicate thing out from the dark depths of the wardrobe. It still looked as gorgeous now, as it had done all that time ago. I stroked my hand gently over the lace that covered it, and memories flooded back into my mind. How Thomas and I had danced. How Thomas had looked at the wedding. How Thomas and I had almost kissed. And then I remembered how it had all ended. How Molly had shown up at our flat that day. How my heart had shattered when I'd heard Thomas had slept with her. How I ended up in New York. No, I couldn't take it anymore. Shaking my head, I placed the dress back in the wardrobe, and quickly draped the rest of my clothes over it. I wiped the few tears from my eyes, and pulled a red tartan shirt out. Throwing it over my arms and shoulders, I dashed downstairs for some breakfast. God I was hungry.

Once I'd feasted on my favourite, waffles with strawberries and chocolate chips, I sat at the breakfast bar drumming my fingers on the cool marble surface. What to do. I gazed around the small kitchen. Pots and pans lay scattered all over the surface, and tall towers of plates were stacked next to the sink. Bloody hell. How much did Ben eat for breakfast? Groaning with frustration, I pulled up my sleeves and set to work. After about an hour of washing, drying and putting away dishes, the kitchen finally looked respectable and with a smile on my face, I walked into the living room. But the smile soon fell from my face, when I was met with the box that I had tripped over last night. But not just that box.

Looking up further into the room, I could see at least another ten large boxes, all stacked up and pushed into the corner of the room. I'd asked Ben to sort these out ages ago, and he still hadn't done anything about them. Well, seeing as I didn't have anything better to do, I rolled my sleeves up again, and began piling through the boxes. Hours passed, and it felt like I was a cartoon, running on the spot. I hadn't gotten anywhere. All I'd been successful in doing, was moving half the stuff in the boxes, to the other side of the room. I sat up on my knees and threw the duster in my hand to the floor. Upset, hot and tired, I flicked my wrist and looked at my watch. It was already 8:00pm?

"Ben where are you?" I exclaimed. My throat burned from all the dust I'd inhaled, and I could already feel the tears of frustration building up. Sniffling them back, I dug into my jeans pocket for my phone and dialled Ben's phone. It went to his answer machine.

"Ben, it's eight o'clock," I said through gritted teeth to the answer machine, "You said you'd be here no later than six! Just, call me yeah?" Exasperated, I hung up on the call, and dropped my phone in my lap. Suddenly, the front door opened, and I shot my head up in its direction.

"Babe? You home?" It was Ben. Moments later, he stumbled into the living room and looked at me with a shocked expression.

"Whoa!" He laughed, looking around the room, "Did a bomb hit this place or something?"

"Ben, it's already eight o'clock!" I cried, getting up on my feet, "Where were you?"

"I told you babe, I was at a meeting!"

"Ben, even the Prime Minister doesn't have meetings that last over eight hours!" I shouted, throwing my hands up in the air.

"Babe, President," He corrected with a small smile. I'd been in New York for three years, and I still hadn't adjusted to their way of speaking.

"Oh shut up, Ben!" I let out a sarcastic laugh, "Where. Were. You?"

"I'm sorry, babe!" He said gently, coming towards me and placing his hands on my shoulders. He was only a little bit taller than me, and I could feel his dark brown hair fall against my forehead.

"After the meeting, my boss pulled me into his office for a bit to discuss some possibilities for our company's future. It went way over the time it was supposed to, and as soon as I could, I got out there so I could come home and see you!" I looked up at him with squinted eyes. But I didn't have it in me to argue with him anymore. I was too tired. My eyes fell to the floor, and I pressed my head against his chest.

"I'm sorry," I said weakly, as he wrapped his arms around my middle, "I've just had a really stressful day, and I guess it all caught up with me."

"Well, I'm sure there's something that I can do to cheer you up," He grinned, pulling away from me, "How about I take my girl out for dinner? You know, down at that restaurant you like?"

"Oh, Ben, I don't know," I began, but he pressed his finger to my lips.

"No, I won't take no for an answer," He smiled, nudging me in the direction of the stairs, "Be ready in the next half an hour." I rolled my eyes, but obeyed him. I dragged my feet up the stairs and hopped into the shower. Maybe I'll feel better after dinner.