Chapter 34 - A Crash

Taylor's P.O.V.
"Your sister has been in a car crash." My legs went weak and I caught my breathing. Those words echoed around in my ears as if someone had called them out into a cave; each echo took another stab at my heart.

"Wh-what?" I stammered shakily, collapsing onto one of the stools. With my eyes brimming with tears, I looked up to see that everyone had fallen silent and was watching me with wide eyes. I caught Dylan catch Thomas' eye, and they both took a step towards me.

"Your sister, she, she was in the car with her husband," The woman explained, her words shattering the deafening silence, "There was a lot of ice on the road, and their car skidded."

"Where is she?" I demanded, my voice cracking slightly, "Is she okay?"

"We're on our way to the Royal Cornwall Hospital now. They are both in an ambulance heading there now."

"Is she okay?" I repeated, louder this time. I felt someone place their hand on my shoulder and I looked to see Thomas stood beside me, worry reflected in his eyes. The others stood behind him.

"Taylor, what's happened?" He asked gently, "What's wrong?"

"Is she okay?" I cried down the phone, desperate to hear that she was fine. It took a moment for the woman to reply.

"She has suffered severe head injuries, and her husband has the same. We won't know much until they're at the hospital." I raised a shaky hand and placed it over my mouth. My throat was suddenly dry, and I couldn't breathe.

"Taylor? Taylor, you're scaring us. What's wrong?" Thomas asked, trying to keep his voice steady. But I couldn't answer him. I couldn't do anything. Like lightening, I threw down my phone, ending the call hastily as I did, and leapt from my stool.

"Taylor?" Kaya yelled after me, as I raced out the kitchen and towards the front door. Faintly, I could hear running footsteps behind me as I ran, but my ears rang so loud that I couldn't concentrate on the sound. My eyes poured with tears as I fell to the floor and began throwing shoes about in search of mine. Retrieving my boots, I pulled them on in seconds, and jumped to my feet.

"Taylor!" Thomas shouted in the distance, but I didn't hear him. I ran to the door, grabbed the keys from the bowl and ripped at the door handle. The howling wind blasted the door open as I got the handle free, and a tornado of snow ripped through the air. With my arms out protecting my face, I plunged through the storm for the car. The wind tore my hair, and stung my skin. Snow shot my eyes like bullets and mixed with my tears to form a sort of shield that covered my eyes and blinded me. Without my sight, I didn't see the ice that had formed on the gravel during the day. My foot slipped from underneath me, and I fell to the cold floor with a sickening crack. Pain shot through my side, and I cried out in pain. I tried lifting my head from the ground, but spotlights flashed in my eyes causing me to rest my head back down in the snow. I could feel warm liquid run from my bare side, and I scrunched my eyes shut to try and block out the pain. In seconds, someone was on me, shaking me by the shoulders and rolling me over to face them.

"Bloody hell, Taylor!" Thomas cried over the wind, "What were you thinking?" He pulled me up out of the snow, and into his chest. Pain overwhelmed me, but I ignored it and tried pushing Thomas away.

"No, no Taylor, I'm not letting you go!" Thomas said sternly, holding me even tighter. The pain was too much for me to get up on my own, and I gripped his jumper and held tight to it in order to keep me from passing out.

"Taylor? Taylor tell me what's wrong!" He said gently, rubbing my back, "Are you okay? You fell really badly - are you hurt? Bloody hell, you're frozen, love!" Thomas put his hand on my hip and pulled me closer into him. I clenched my fist harder as he touched my bleeding hip, but I was grateful for the warmth from his body. I rested my head on his chest, and concentrated on his rapid heartbeat.

"Taylor! Oh my God, are you okay?" I could hear Kaya scream, rushing to my side and putting her hand on my side.

"Guys, give her some space!" Thomas yelled over the wind, making the others all step away slightly as more and more people gathered around me.

"Taylor, love talk to me!" Thomas said softly in my ear.

"It's Sydney," I burst. My shoulders shook violently, and I was constantly catching my breaths.

"She must have been coming here to surprise the kids," I stammered, "She's been in a car crash!" Everybody gasped around me.

"Oh, Taylor," Thomas wrapped his arms around me, "Where is she now?"

"In hospital, but she's got severe head injuries! And she's pregnant!" Just the thought that I might lose my only family member left, and then my future niece or nephew, was the worst thing that could happen to me. I'd lost my parents and lived with only my sister as a friend and a family member. I couldn't lose her!

"So that's why I need to go to the hospital now!" I said hurriedly, attempting again at getting up, but screaming out in pain and collapsing back into Thomas' arms.

"Not on your own you're not!" Groaning, Thomas slung my arm over his neck and staggered to his feet, lifting me up slowly with him.

"You okay to walk?" He asked me, concern lacing his voice. I nodded with gritted teeth, and with Thomas helping me, I limped towards the car.

"Guys, you go back in the house," Thomas told the others sternly, as he helped me into my seat, "I'm taking Taylor to the hospital."

"You need someone to come with you?" Kaya asked, helping buckle me up in my seatbelt. I was in so much shock and pain that I could hardly move. Not to mention my body was frozen and it actually hurt, I was shaking that hard.

"No, we're okay," Thomas told Kaya, closing my car door shut, "Just go back in the house, and don't say anything to the kids. I'll call you when we have information." I didn't hear Kaya's response through the door, but she looked pretty hurt. Reluctantly, she nodded and herded everybody else inside. Seconds later, Thomas jumped into the seat beside me and started up the car.

"Hey," He caught my attention, "Everything is going to be fine. I promise you." A small smile formed on my face and I just nodded. But was it all going to be fine?