Chapter 3 - Life Changing

Taylor's P.O.V.
"Wow, that was delicious!" I smiled, letting the waiter take away our plates.

"Only the best for my girl," Ben grinned at me, taking my hand in his from across the table, "You feeling better now?"

"Much, thanks!" I let out a small laugh, "I'm sorry I had a go at you earlier! I was just tired, and things have been getting kinda tough at work. I guess I just became so overwhelmed with everything! But at least I've got you to keep me happy!" I squeezed Ben's hand and gazed up into his eyes. But he wasn't smiling anymore. Instead, he let go of my hand and his eyes fell on his lap.

"Taylor, um, there's something I need to tell you," He said quietly, avoiding any eye contact with me.

"What, what's wrong?" I asked, concern rising in my voice.

"Um, it's about work," He began, finally looking up at me as he spoke, "They've offered me a promotion."

"Oh hun, that's brilliant!" I exclaimed, "What's wrong about that?"

"It means I'd have to travel around Europe," He sighed, running a hand shakily through his hair, "And it lasts for a year."

"A, a year?" I managed, my eyes wide with shock.

"Yeah," He nodded, "I'd be travelling around Europe, doing different work with different companies. It's a really big position, babe."

"Mm," Was all I could muster. A year. Around Europe. With me left at home. On my own. For a year.

"Babe," He continued, shaking me from my thoughts, "I'm taking the job." It felt as if a knife had been stabbed through my heart, and then bent so that it could never be pulled out. I was speechless.

"It's too good an opportunity to miss. Of course, I'd still keep in contact with you! We can message whenever I'm free, and we can call. It's going to be alright."

"Y-yeah," I put on a weak smile, "Well, I'm just so pleased for you!"

"Thanks," He grinned, looking way too pleased for himself, "I fly out on Monday, so we best get home quick so I can pack!"

"Wait, Monday?" I burst out, "That's the day after tomorrow!"

"Yes, I can count babe!" He laughed, waving at the waiter, "Which is why we need to get home soon so I can get all my things together." So, the rest of my evening was spent helping Ben pack up his suitcase and bags with all the stuff he'd need for his trip. Turns out that most of the stuff he needed was in those boxes in the living room, which meant that all the tidying up I'd done earlier had been a complete waste of time. As I helped Ben unpack one of the last boxes, my eyes fell upon a small black photo frame. Behind its glass surface, lay the very first picture that Ben and I had ever had taken. I couldn't help but smile when I looked at it, and remembered the party at which we'd met.

"Hey, don't forget to pack this," I turned around with the picture in my hand. I looked up at Ben, with the picture held out towards him. But he had his back to me, and was talking to someone on the phone. Whilst still talking, he turned to see me and just pointed at his suitcase. Sighing, I threw the picture on top of the pile of clothes in his case, and turned back to the box. But there was something else in there too. A small purple book. Knitting my eyebrows together, I knelt down and lifted out the book. It was a photo album. Folding back the first page, I let out a small gasp. This was me. When Mia was born. Gosh, she had been so small back then. I wonder how big she is now? I hadn't seen Mia, Teddy or even my sister since I left London, and I hadn't spoken to them in months. But what was this photo album doing in one of Ben's boxes?

"You alright?" I whipped around to the sound of Ben's voice.

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine!" I smiled, "Who was on the phone?"

"Oh, um, it was my boss," He mumbled, crouching down to my level, "Babe, they've booked me on an earlier flight. Turns out they can get be to Paris two nights earlier, and they've squeezed in some extra work for me to do whilst I'm there."

"When's the flight?" I asked nervously.

"In four hours."

"What?" I cried, tears building in my eyes, "But you can't just leave me now!"

"I don't have a choice," He sighed, "They've ordered me a taxi and it should be here any minute now."

"But, but-"

"Hey, don't be selfish!" He said, raising his voice, "You left your life, your family, your boyfriend in London for a job, didn't you? So excuse me if I do the same thing!" I was forced to choke back the tears. Ben knew how difficult that had been for me, and the fact that he was now bringing it up against me hurt me to the bone.

"Ben, I didn't have a choice!" I screamed, the tears flowing, "Thomas cheated on me, and I had nowhere else to go! And don't say it like it's a bad thing, because if I hadn't have come here, then I wouldn't have met you!"

"Exactly, and I don't have a choice either!" He yelled. The loud beep of a car horn sounded from outside the window and stopped us in the middle of our argument.

"Taylor, I've got to go," He looked down at the floor as he said it. And despite how angry I was at him - how hurt and upset I was by what he'd said - I wrapped my arms around his neck and brought him into a tight hug.

"I'll miss you so much!" I cried into his shoulder.

"I'll miss you too!" He said, pulling away quickly. He gave me a quick peck on the lips, and without a word, he picked up his case and bags and headed for the door. The echo from the slam of the door, bounced on the walls around me, and it seemed as if each echo was getting louder and louder. I crumpled into a heap on the floor and pressed my back up against the bookshelf. Tears soaked my cheeks and hands, and a sharp lump had built up in my throat.

I sat there quietly crying for hours. By the end of it all, my eyes were sore and puffy, and I could tell that my nose was red, from the amount of times I had rubbed it with my sleeve. Sniffling loudly, I looked around the room slowly, and my gaze fell upon the photo album. Shakily, I picked it up and lay it in my lap. I began looking through the pictures, and both happy and sad memories filled my mind. I found pictures of me and Mia and Teddy as very small children. I found pictures of me and Sydney as we were growing up. And just as the pictures had reached the end of my teen years, there was a large gap in the album. Confused, I flicked the pages with my fingers. But the rest was empty. Sighing, I picked up the album by its spine, and dropped it to the floor. But a load of pictures suddenly fell from its pages. How had I missed these? I picked up the nearest photo and looked at it closely in the dark. And a whole new wave of tears flooded out of me. It was Thomas and I.