Chapter 21 - Tissues, Duvets and Pillows

Taylor's P.O.V.
Ugh, I hate being ill. Honestly, it is the most horrible feeling in the world; a bunged up nose, watery eyes and a sore throat. Yeah, that basically sums it up. But wait a second, I'm getting way too ahead of myself. I guess I should catch you up on what's been going on. 

So after the little dinner party we had, Ben has been spending a lot of his time at work. I've hardly seen him, and his company are moving him to Paris next week for a month! That meant I wasn't going to be spending Christmas with him! Oh yeah, it's now November, hence why I'm stuck indoors with what I assumed to be the bloody flu, and Christmas is in no less than thirty days! I had better have this flu cleared up by then, because antibiotics isn't exactly something I want from Santa. Anyway, so Ben's going away soon, and I'll be stuck on my own. Thomas and Dylan are both at work today, seeing as it is a Monday, and I imagine that Bella is working down at the coffee shop.

Over these last few months, the four of us have really become a close little group of friends (well, Dylan and Thomas were already my friends, but the four of us together have become pretty close) and we spend quite a lot of time together. Just last night, the three of them were up here, singing along to Disney Sing Along on the XBOX. It had been Dylan's idea to have a games night at mine, so then it was us girls' choice for what games we were going to play. Of course, we had decided on Disney Sing Along, and then Dance Central. Honestly, Dylan and Thomas dancing along to 'Sexy and I Know It' was the funniest thing I have ever witnessed in my entire life. I actually fell off the sofa, I was laughing that hard, and Bella just collapsed on the floor, screeching with laughter. And then there was the Disney Sing Along. Both Bella and I kicked the boy's backsides at that; belting out the lyrics to every song on the CD. Dylan challenged me to a sing-off, which I gladly accepted, and won. Thomas told Dylan that he was silly to even think that he'd beat me, and Dylan just sulked in the beanbag I had on the floor. It was pretty funny.

Overall, these last few months haven't exactly been very exciting. Summer came and went, without a holiday I might add. I spent a couple nights over at Sydney's with the kids, as her and Sam went away for a weekend away. I can't believe Sydney is already 8 months pregnant! She recently came over with the kids for her 33rd birthday, and we had a small party. As a surprise, Dylan, Thomas and Bella all showed up, and Ben was actually able to pop in to say hello to Sydney, seeing as it was the first time she had met him. But then of course, he had to disappear back to work again. Figures. You know, he hasn't even mentioned any wedding plans to me or anything! Okay, yes we've only been engaged six months, and I don't want to rush things, but he hasn't even mentioned the slightest thing to me. He was already living with me, back in New York, so that ship had sailed. The only thing left to discuss really was our future together. Did he want to get married? Did he want to have children? But I don't want to think about that right now. I'm sick, and the last thing I want is to be worrying myself over little things like that.

Sniffling, I shuffled into the bathroom and looked up at my reflection. Yuck. My hair was a mess, my eyes were droopy, and my skin was as white as a sheet. I didn't get it. I had been fine yesterday! All last night though, I had been up coughing and coughing and coughing. My eyes had been watering so much, that I wasn't surprised when I saw my reflection in the mirror. Sighing, I pulled my dressing gown down from the door and wrapped it over my shoulders. I retrieved the duvet and pillows from my bed and headed into the living room. Collapsing onto the sofa, I switched on the T.V. and turned on my phone. Seven unread messages from both Dylan and Thomas. I rolled my eyes, as the messages flooded my inbox.

Thomas - Morning sleepyhead! I'm guessing you slept in, so I'll tell George you'll be a little late ;)

Thomas - Taylor, are you even awake?

Thomas - Taylor??? Are you actually coming into work today?

Thomas - Okay, Beckie at reception has just told me you're off sick. Are you okay?

Dylan - Taylor!!! Are you sick? Please reply to Thomas' messages! He's going nuts over here!

Dylan - Taylor, are you alright?

Dylan - Hellloooooo??

I couldn't help but let out a laugh - well, I say a laugh. It sounded more like I was being strangled to be honest, my throat was that dry. Groaning, I opened up a new message to Thomas and Dylan, when my phone started buzzing in my hand. Thomas.

"Hello?" I croaked down the phone.

"Oh my god, Taylor!" Thomas exclaimed down the phone, "You had me worried sick! What's wrong?"

"Oh, nothing! My body just decided that this was the time of year to curse me with the bloody flu, so now I'm stuck on the sofa sounding like Mickey bloody Mouse!" It was true! My voice had gone slightly high, for some reason, and I truly did sound like Mickey Mouse!

"You do sound pretty bad!" I heard Thomas chuckle down the end of the phone, "Aw, I'm sorry, love. Is there anything I can do?"

"No, not really Thomas," I sighed, before bursting into another coughing fit.

"Sorry," I managed, my throat now worse than ever, "Seems I may have done a little bit too much singing last night."

"Mm, that won't have helped," Thomas replied quietly, "Oh Taylor you sound awful! Are you home on your own? Is Ben around?"

"Nope. He's got a meeting with the head office today in Kent, so I guess I'm on my own." Tear streamed down my eyes, I was in that much pain, and Thomas must have noticed I was crying.

"Taylor, are you crying?"

"N-no," I sniffled untruthfully. I guess everything had just suddenly built up on me and it was too much for me to take. Ben hasn't been here for me for ages, and although I've seen him here and there over these past months, it's been hardly anything. In fact, I've spent more time with my ex-boyfriend than I have done my fiancé.

"Oh Taylor, what's wrong love?" Thomas said gently. I couldn't take it anymore. The pain was too much.

"It's just it's not fair," I cried, "Ben's never here, he's not going to be with me for Christmas, and now I've got the bloody flu!" Tears ran down my cheeks like waterfalls and I wiped at my eyes with the back of my sleeve.

"Taylor, I'm sorry. Aw, love don't cry!" Thomas' voice calmed me slightly, and my tears slowed, "Taylor, you can't be on your own when you're like this! Do you want me to come over?"

"No no, Thomas! You've got work to do, and I don't want to give you anything!" I practically yelped. The last thing I wanted was to give Thomas the flu. That would not be good at all, and I'm sure Bella would be chuffed with me that I made her boyfriend sick.

"Taylor, I'm not asking for your permission," Thomas said sternly, "You need somebody to come take care of you! Why Ben isn't here for you when you need him most, I don't know, but I guess I'll have to do. Give me twenty minutes and I'll be over."

No matter how long I protested, Thomas was not backing down. But I didn't have the energy to argue. So I finally agreed, and he hung up the phone. I looked around the living room and realised what a mess I was in. I strained myself to get up off the sofa, but my body felt weak. I collapsed, and my eyelids suddenly felt heavy. My head swam and my throat burned, as my head tilted to the side and I fell asleep.