II Safe and Sound - Newt II

Safe and Sound: 

Edited: 5/13/2020

Trigger warnings: death, thoughts of suicide, nightmares, etc

I remember tears streaming down your face.

When I said, I'll never let you go.

When all those shadows almost killed your light. 

Newt stared at your face, tears streaming down it. He understood too well what it felt like to be in your position. It killed him to see you like this. Everyone here was young and innocent. No one deserved to be brought to this hell and forced to live here. You were no exception to that. He was scared for you, worried what you might do now that your resolve finally began to crumble. He remembered vividly what he did himself, and he prayed that you would never attempt the same thing.  

"There isn't a way out," your face was pressed into his chest. For a long time, you maintained hope. You even helped keep the others' spirits up too. It hurt him to see your optimism crushed the way it was, but he knew that the strong could only hold on for so long. His shirt was beginning to dampen from a mix of your snot and tears, but he had no complaints. He ran his hands through your hair, hoping to soothe you. He knew that his attempts were futile; you needed to let it all out.

"Try not to think about that," he murmured, "I know it isn't easy, but we can make do with what we have. We can manage to find some happiness here. It isn't all gone." 

"I can't stop thinking about it! I've tried so hard, but I can't do this anymore. What's the point? What the purpose of being alive here when we are all suffering. I feel like I'm losing my mind here. I need to leave. I can't do this," your voice was soft. "I want to die, Newt," you whispered. It's the only way out, isn't it? You knew that, that's why you-"

"Stop," his voice was still gentle, "it isn't. I regret my decision. You can do it. I know it is hard. It's still hard for me sometimes, but I found something that keeps me going. We just need to find some smaller and happier moments and make more of them."

You shook your head, "that isn't enough. It doesn't change that we are trapped."

His arms tightened around you, "don't leave me. I can't let you go like that." It hurt Newt so much to see you like this, and he knew that his words probably wouldn't sink in well. He knew that words never did much for him. He still had to hope they would work a little bit, even if it bought some more time with you. It stung, but he was beginning to accept that your love for each other was not always enough to keep someone else alive.

I remember you said, Don't leave me here alone.

But all that's dead and gone and passed tonight. 

"Please don't leave me alone," you whispered. Your voice was hoarse from crying earlier, but the tears finally stopped. You did feel a little better. It was nice to cry out all of your emotions that had been building up for such a long time.

Newt turned back to you. His eyes softened as he nodded his head, "of course." He was already hesitant to leave you alone initially. He was scared about what you could potentially do. 

The Glade was full of screams, and it was hard for both of you to ignore. You were terrified, and his presence made it a little less scary. The grievers were attacking. People were dying, and there wasn't much you could actually do about it either. Your eyes squeezed shut at the next scream. Another one. How were you expected to survive this? The odds were stacked against all of you.