three // don't take things too personal

--Chicago's P.O.V--

"Beaumont, Leffew, pick up the pace!"

I was known for being a very good slapper, but I'm pretty sure if I made any advancement towards the gym teacher, I would be sure to get suspended in a heartbeat.

Aiden huffed beside me as we picked up the pace to a faster jog. "I... hate... him," he choked out, finding it hold to catch his breath.

"I think you and I hate him around the same amount," I replied, pulling my black shorts farther down my thighs.

"Highly doubt it," my friend responded.

I slowed down to a walk as I noticed that Mr. Poole was going off on some freshmen, no longer paying any attention to us. I payed no attention to the seniors that were grumbling about how we needed to start running.

"He told me to my face before that I would never be as good as my brothers, so I should stop trying."

"Okay, you obviously do hate him as much as me."

I was not athletic, either was Aiden, but all of my siblings were. They could run a mile without stopping easier than I could play the guitar although I've been playing for nine years. Garrett was also athletic, but he never felt like putting in the effort.

Mr. Poole believed that all the best students were the athletic ones. I finished the mile in fourteen minutes and forty-seven seconds and he pulled me aside and said that my brothers would always be better than me. Aiden and Lilac literally almost fell over when I told them.

"Have you seen the new kids yet?" Aiden asked me, pulling his long sleeves over his hands.

I shook my head as we rounded a corner on the track, sucking us into a small place of shade, safe from the sun. "Kailyn has though."

"I've seen one of them," the boy next to me explained. "He called me sir when he accidentally bumped into me when he was coming out of the office."

"That's the one Elodie is dating," I told him. "She was bragging about him in the locker room."

"That poor poor boy." Aiden shook his head. "I hope he makes it out alive."

A giggle escaped my throat just as Elodie was passing us.

"Maybe you should stop laughing, Chicago, and actually run for once," she proclaimed. She was even running backwards while she was talking to us.

"Says the person who runs with all the popular athletic girls when they aren't even close to being athletic just so you can get the attention of the boys," I retorted. "Because we all know boys don't actually care about personality. They just want to show off. Well, all the guys that have dated you want to."

The red haired girl rolled her eyes in annoyance. "At least all the guys I date don't want to overdose because they have such a horrible life."

I lunged for her, my fingers grabbing a hold of her short hair. In a matter of seconds, we were both on the ground.

"Take that back!" I screamed. "You have no right to talk about him like that!"

"Chicago, stop!" Aiden yelled. I felt him grab my arm, but I shook it away.

"Well, it's true, isn't it?" Elodie responded. Her nails made contact with my face causing my blood to boil. "It isn't like I'm lying. Everybody knows."

I was so pissed. I hated this girl with every fiber of my being.

Garrett was not a bad person. I didn't care if he tried to end his life that didn't make him worthy of being bullied and made fun of. My Garrett was a good person, he would never hurt anyone like the people here hurt him.