six // please stop, you're scaring me

--Chicago's P.O.V--

"Are Mom and Dad home yet?" I asked Denahi as soon as Aiden and I stepped into the kitchen.

He and Christian were positioned at the island, bowls of cereal in front of them. "No, they aren't. Do I need to know why you are asking and why Jonah and Noah had to tell me that you rode home with Aiden? Also, I would like to know why Caspian is pissed off at you," Denahi remarked.

I ran a hand through my red hair before sliding my backpack off of my back and onto the floor. "See, it's kinda a funny story. I may or may not have gotten into a fight today which resulted in me getting detention and riding home with Aiden, so he can offer support while I talk to Mom and Dad. Caspian is mad at me because he found out that Lilac knows about something he said in his therapy sessions and he believes that I betrayed him by telling her."

"Did I hear wrong?" Summer proclaimed, coming in from the living room. "Did you, Chicago Beaumont, get into a fight?"

I forgot about Summer's reaction. My parents' seemed so terrifying that I forgot Summer was like my mother also. She treated every one of us like her own children. She lived with us for crying out loud. Jonah, Noah, and Hugo always felt bad when she got called to the school because they set off a stink bomb. They normally did things like that just to annoy our parents.

"It's really not big of a deal," I insisted. "I'm not even the one who started it."

"But you apparently contributed to it, didn't you?" Summer said, putting her hands on her hips. "Why else would you be afraid to tell your mother and father?"

Summer's look of disappointment was enough to have me dip my head to stare at my feet. Disappointment was one of my worst fears. I hated disappointing people because usually when I did, it was in the worst ways possible. Besides, I was a straight A student. Nobody expected me to mess up.

"Uh, Ms. Bishop?"

My head darted up to cast a look at Aiden, who had finally spoken up.

Summer sighed, heavily. "Yes, Aiden?"

Aiden pulled his hat farther over his light brown, attempting to hide his face from her view. "The girl that Chicago fought with made comments about Garrett's suicide."

My body stiffened at the mention of his name. I never intended for the reason for the fight to be revealed. Garrett was my boyfriend, which meant he was my business, not anyone else's. My parents didn't even needed to know about him. Most of the time I had him over when Summer was looking after us for the night.

Summer's look of disappointment turned into a look of sympathy and pity. "Oh, Chicago, honey, I know how sensitive you are about that! Who would even have the nerve to mention that topic to you?"

Denahi and Christian seemed stunned that Summer wasn't yelling at me. Their mouths were hanging open.

"The same girl who bullied me from sixth grade to now. The same girl who used to like Garrett. And finally, the same girl who dyed her hair red a week after I did."

In response, Summer held her arms open for a hug. "Come here, honey."

She wrapped her arms around my small figure before patting my back. "I'll tell to talk to your parents, okay? See if I can smooth this over with them where they won't take away your phone. You are just so lucky that you didn't get suspended."

"Thank you, Summer, so much!" I squealed. "I'm so lucky that have you!"

She nodded, moving over to the fridge to make us snacks. "Remember that you are lucky. My birthday is coming up in a couple weeks. I expect a birthday present from all of you."