twenty-two // i'm too depressed to go on

--Josh's P.O.V--

I woke up around eleven with a groan of tiredness. My body moved closer to the left side, hoping to make contact with Chicago, but that's when I realized I was alone. She wasn't beside me.

I forced my eyes open to see the spot where she was previously lying empty. The sheets on her side were still unmade which surprised me a little bit. Chicago always made the bed she was sleeping in whether it was her own or not.

I propped myself up on my elbows, a yawn escaping my lungs. If my body allowed me, I could have slept through the entire night because of how tired I was. However, my body apparently hated me and wanted me to get up.

I threw the comforter away from myself and stood up, scrambling around for my clothes. Eventually, my fingertips came in contact with my jeans and underwear and I quickly pulled everything on. My shirt was still somewhere downstairs, but I didn't know exactly where.

My feet padded across the hardwood floor as I left my room. Down the hallway, light cascaded out of Jordan's room, peaking my interest. Normally, his door was never open and the whole house was never this silent. My sisters always made some sort of noise.

When I reached the doorway of my brother's room, I turned to see him pulling on a pair of plaid pajama pants. "Look who decided to finally wake up," he remarked. "Have a nice sleep?"

"When did you get home?" I asked, crossing my arms. "Wasn't there some school dance thing you were supposed to be at with mom and dad, Ashley, and Abbie?"

He nodded, plopping down on his bed. "Homecoming ends at midnight, Josh. Besides, I'm glad I decided to come home early. Five minutes after I got home, Chicago came rushing down the stairs, looking completely freaked out. I kind of caught her off guard."

"However, I offered to let her use our shower to clean herself up, but she declined. Also, I offered to make her something to eat because after having sex with you, she must have been hungry, but she declined once again."

I raised my eyebrows. "So Chicago just left? She didn't say anything to you about why?"

My younger brother shrugged. "She probably left because she cheated on her boyfriend with you, but that's only my guess." He looked down at his phone. "I drove her home where she didn't have to walk by herself in the dark. I gave her my phone number in case she needed anything in the future."

He lifted his head to meet my eyes. "She seems pretty sweet and I was a bit shocked to figure out that she was a Beaumont when I dropped her off at home. I heard at school that her family is quite strict. I hope that she made it past all her siblings without them noticing all the bruises. You are apparently quite rough, you know?"

I could tell that Jordan disapproved of my actions and he very obviously wanted me to understand that. However, Chicago gave me her consent with everything. I didn't force her to do anything she didn't want to do.

"Do you want to give me one of your long lectures, Jordan?" I asked. "Because your tone of voice sure sounds like it."

He shrugged. "Chicago just looked very distraught when I took her home. She was worried about how her boyfriend found react if he found out what you guys did. I know you are going to say that she agreed to everything, but it's very easy to give in when a boy, especially you, is on top of her."

"Jordan, what are you getting at?"

"What I'm getting at is that Chicago regrets ever letting you touch her and be prepared for her boyfriend to beat your face in once he finds out."

I raised my eyebrows. "Chicago may regret cheating on Garrett, but I'm tell you right now, there is no way she regrets what happened between us. I was the one on top of her and believe me, she enjoyed it. I'm pretty sure every one on the street could hear her. She was quite vocal."