twenty-eight // kids are victims in this story

Told you this chapter would be long, but it's action-packed

--Aiden's P.O.V--

If you pushed the picture of Garrett and Josh fighting out of your mind, the day might actually be considered good. However, to Chicago, who was still shaken up, this day was one of the worst days of her life.

Both Josh and Garrett received in school suspension for today and for today only. For some reason, Mrs. Howell was feeling a bit nicer than usual since the school year was coming to a close. In my opinion, Garrett deserved to be expelled until he got over the fact that Josh was going to be dating Chicago until they decided to break up. When he was angry, he was dangerous.

"I'll give you a ride home, okay?" I told my best friend as we exited the building. "You don't need all your brothers questioning you right now."

She nodded, not saying a word in response. I sighed as I clicked my keychain, unlocking my car and climbing inside. Chicago did the same before resting her head against the window.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked, pulling out of my parking spot. "It may help instead of keeping everything bottled up inside."

"Garrett refused to talk to me, Aiden," she whispered. "Mrs. Howell made all three of us go into her office about half an hour after the fight. Josh must have landed a pretty good punch because he had a black eye and he just looked terrible. However, Josh was much worse. His nose had quit bleeding, but he did black eye as well and multiple bruises on his face."

"The reason why Josh was in worse shape was because Garrett caught him off guard and you know Garrett better than anyone. You know that he's a good fighter, especially when he's angry. I'm a bit surprised that Josh managed to get one punch in."

Chicago sighed. "Mrs. Howell wanted us to talk things out with one another, but Garrett refused to look at me. She even asked him if he had anything to say and he just shook his head and said "no, ma'am," before storming out of the room. How was I supposed to respond to that? I still love Garrett, but I don't want him to suffer because I broke up with him."

I turned my car onto Chicago's street and pulled into her driveway. "Whether you are dating him or not, he'll be suffering. You just need to remember that Garrett is still Garrett. Happiness is a foreign subject to him."

My best friend pushed open the car door and stepped out. "I know you're right, Aiden, but you didn't see him after the fight today. He looked crazy." She paused. "I have this feeling that something bad is about to happen."

I shook my head. "Quit stressing, Chicago. Everything is going to be fine."

•••

The moment I got home I knew something wasn't right when I found my mother and Matthew sitting at the kitchen table, solemn looks on their faces. I threw my backpack down onto one of the empty chairs, raising my eyebrows. "What's going on?"

My mother stood up, shaking her head. "It's nothing important. Just go up to your room and do your homework."

I crossed my arms as I watched my mother run her hands through her blonde hair, something she only did when she was really stressed out. "What's wrong? Something's obviously wrong and I don't understand why you won't tell me."

"Back off!" Matthew remarked.

"I-"

"I said back off, Ember!"