twenty // victim of circumstance

--Chicago's P.O.V--

"Are you going to redye your hair today?" I looked up from my position on the couch to see Christian leaning against the staircase. "You normally don't go to the mall unless you want to dye your hair again."

I smiled, closing my German textbook, reaching out to sit it on the coffee table in front of me. "My friend, Josh, and I are required to hang out with each other as much as possible for our sociology class and I invited Aiden along to the mall, so he could get new clothes. It's a win win for everyone."

Christian crossed his arms, his boots clomping as he came to sit beside me. "I remember that sociology project. I hated it."

"What happened between you and your partner? Did you guys get into a relationship or do... stuff?" He raised his eyebrows at me and I held my hands up in self-defensive. "I'm just curious, Christian!"

My older brother sat in thought for a moment before he decided to respond. "My partner was a girl named Gillian. She was very easy-going and care free. I liked her a lot, but I will honestly admit that I didn't make a move on her. We ended up kissing each other just to see what it was like since we both never experienced a first kiss, but we didn't necessarily have feelings for each other."

He turned his head to look at me, his dark hair falling into his eyes. "It was kind of like an experiment between us, you know? Her and I still talk often while she goes through college. I developed a life-long friend because of that project, but nothing more."

"Did anybody in your class end up dating?" I asked.

"Maybe like one or two groups out of ten or so, but the relationships never lasted long. I don't know if anybody kissed one another or had sex because all of that stuff was anonymous, but it did bring people closer." Christian grinned at me, playfully poking me in the ribs. "Why do you want to know about my class? Are you starting to like this Josh dude?"

I rolled my eyes. "No, and by the way, Garrett still exists in this world."

Christian shrugged. "I forget about him sometimes because he's never over here anymore, but I know that's just because Mom and Dad hate him."

I knew that my parents thought that Garrett was a bad influence, but that couldn't possibly be the only reason why they disliked him. A part of me thought it was because he was overall unhappy person. However, there was no way in the world I was going to voice my thoughts to anyone.

A horn beeped outside, signaling that Josh was here to pick me up. Christian climbed to his feet. "Have fun." He reached into his back pocket to pull out his wallet. "Do you need more money or anything?"

I shook my head. "No, I have my bank account that I can use. It has all the money I need." My older brother smiled. "Well, then go have a good time with Josh and Aiden."

"I will." I got up off of the couch and hurried out the front door as Josh beeped his horn once again. "Do you have to be so impatient, Joshua?" I yelled, crossing my driveway. "You'll disturb the whole neighborhood!"

"Then get in the car, princess Beaumont!" He responded, sticking his blue head out the car window. "We still need to pick up Aiden!"

I shook my head before chuckling as I pulled open the passenger side door. I settled down into the seat and shut the door, turning to smile at Josh. "Gutan tag, Joshua."

The boy raised his eyebrows as he backed out of my driveway. "Are we going to practice German all day as well? The last time I knew, Aiden took Spanish."

"I was studying German before you rudely interrupted me with your obnoxious horn honking," I explained. "Besides, I felt the need to tell you good morning."