twenty-five // i never thought i'd die alone

--Chicago's P.O.V--

I stared open-mouthed at my father who lifted his head to meet my eyes that were filled with disbelief. "Dad, what happened? What's going on?"

It took all my willpower to pretend that I didn't know about his guilt or the missing money, but there was a reason why I almost always got the lead roles in the school plays. I could pretend to be anybody and get away with it.

"Chicago, it's fine," he mumbled. "Your mother is on her way home and Denahi took all your siblings to Harper and Eric's." The fact that Denahi didn't even think about picking me up as well was confusing, but that's when it dawned on me that he didn't know that Garrett and I had broken up and probably figured that he would give me a ride home.

"Ma'am," the police officer began, "you are welcome to accompany us to the station. We would like to ask you some questions along with your father."

"You are not going to question my daughter!" My father exclaimed. "She doesn't even anything about this."

The officer shrugged. "If she doesn't, she doesn't. No harm done, but it might make your whole life easier if she knows something that would help the case." The man in about his mid-thirties turned to face me, his facial features very gentle. "You are welcome to ride in the squad car with us."

I shook my head. "I- I have a friend that can take me ."

Josh's voice startled me from behind. "Yeah, I'll take her."

I dreaded turning around to see his expression. Instead I turned around, pretending to cry, so I had a valid reason to cover my face. He didn't question as he followed me out of my house and towards his car.

"You know something about your dad." He didn't phrase it like a question.

"Yes," I said, softly.

"He's guilty, isn't he?"

I couldn't even nod my head in response, but Josh already had all the answers.

•••

The ride to the police station was very uncomfortable. Josh couldn't seem to think of anything to say and I didn't blame him. He just witnessed my father getting arrested. Deep down, he knew that the slip of paper I found in his study was the key to all the answers. However, there was only one answer; guilty.

My phone started ringing as we pulled into the police station parking lot, causing me to groan. I pulled it out of my back pocket and quickly hit answer, not bothering to check and see who it was from.

"Chicago, I just heard about the news!" Aiden exclaimed in my ear. "My mom called to tell me and she's bringing me down to the police station right now."

"No, no, don't do that, Aiden." Josh glanced at me, raising his eyebrows in question. "Don't leave Garrett alone."

"You need me there for moral support, Chicago. I know you are just putting on your tough exterior, but I know you are terrified that your dad will go to jail forever. Don't even try to argue either. I know you better than anyone on this planet aside from Garrett."

"Speaking of him though, he's fine. Well, not fine, but he hasn't hurt himself at all, but I haven't left his house since you left." He paused. "Do you realize that I can't stay at his house forever? He's never going to be in an okay place even if you get back together with him. Either way, he's bound to hurt himself again."

The sad part was that I knew Garrett was destined for misery, but if I could hold the misery off even for a little bit, I'd feel a bit better as a person. I'd feel less guilty. I cleared my throat. "Aiden, where is he now?"