Fourteenth Flaw

Xavier was sweating profusely as he groaned in his sleep, he was having nightmares. His chest heaved his eyes snapped open when he felt a presence nearby. Reluctantly his eyes roamed of an unfamiliar place.

Yes he now remembered he was in the cabin at a certain resort somewhere by the beach. He was drenched in sweat as he clamped his face with his hand.

What the heck was happening? He tried to normalize the pacing of his breathing but the aching throb of his heart still hammered wildly inside his chest. He was panting as his lungs reach for air for his surfactant to expand.

Yes it was all just a dream.

He dreamt of heaven, of an older version of himself and playful cherubs in his house, he remembered a little boy who looked like him except for the flaming red hair. Then he walked through the kitchen upon hearing a melodious lullaby. An angel was cooking by his kitchen counter. He eyed the girl incredulously. And shock was an understatement of what he felt when she turned to him! It was Lucy!

"Did you have a safe trip darling?" she flashed him a radiant smile and kissed his cheek, he was speechless for a moment as his silver eyes surveyed her exquisite face. He marveled at her beauty as she let out a gentle laugh.

"Hey! Why are you staring at me? I'm not gonna disappear you know?" she softly said as three angels ran on the kitchen

"Now kids, behave okay? Daddy's tired from work" Lucy hushed the children

"Yes Mommy!" they chorused and sang him a sweet lullaby which helped him relax his senses.

It was all too good to be true, he was an archangel and Lucy was his wife, they had three children and they were actually happy. Soon all of his worries slowly dissipated as he closed his eyes and silently melted himself with the wicker chair. When all of a sudden, he felt like burning! He opened his eyes to see the whole place ablaze! Engulfed by the wild fires of hell! He moved hastily as he saw his wife on the floor.

"Lucy!" he rushed to her side but instead of Lucy's angelic face it was Acrecia! His eyes nearly bulged out of their sockets when all of their cute and adorable little angels turned into mini-Satans all shouting "daddeeee" at him and laughing demonically. Laughing and playing inside the burning house.

"Why Honey? Don't you like it hot?" Acrecia grinned and wounded her arms around his neck, his wings caught fire but thank goodness he woke up.

"What an evil dream" he muttered silently, as he stood up to grab a cold drink. Still he couldn't think of the reason why in the beginning of the dream he felt happy and contented. Was it really possible that he had fallen for the halfling?

"Impossible" he muttered and shook his thoughts right away "I'm only doing this as my duty as a guardian, Yes a guardian and nothing more" he mused, he knew he was trying to convince himself.

He gulped down the chilly water as he felt the cold liquid on his throat, and how he wished that, that coldness would seep in inside his heart. He put down the glass harshly that it nearly shattered to pieces, instead a fine thread of crack was seen and the crystalline water seeped out.