The Lamb In The Lion's Den... Why Couldn't I Be The Lion?!

"Grace will you at least let me talk to you?" Dimitri asked for the thousandth time when we finally got to the castle and I hopped off of the bike.

"Nope." I chirped and turned to the door to start walking, seeing someone stood there, more than likely a guard. It was only when I got closer that I noticed who the person was standing at the door with a smile on his face and my neck tingled in response to the memory of him biting me making me stumble a bit and come to a halt in the middle of the driveway in between what I could have and what I was going to be dealt. I turned to see Dimitri only a few feet behind me and I knew he'd already seen Damien standing on the steps to the castle so when he offered me his hand it felt more like he was trying to stake his claim rather than him offering comfort to a step in my life that was about to change my entire future.

I sneered at his hand and turned away from him and, with purpose in every footstep, headed straight for the doors to the castle, not for Damien but he blocked my path through the doors anyway. "So you weren't kidding when you said things between you and Dimitri was strained?"

He was bloody loving this. "I've felt more hostility to others my prince." The smile fell from his face to be replaced by a slight scowl before changing back to his charming smiled that probably made a lot of girls fall at his feet begging for him to take them any way he pleased.

"You'll make a great guard Grace and my personal lessons will be educational I'm sure." Personal lessons? I was not being alone in a room with him ever.

"I thought Dimitri was your personal trainer and personal guard? We lowly plebs are happy to start at a lower level and work our way up to the level of responsibility you're offering my prince." I was hoping I would be near death by the time I was meant to be good enough for that, or at least old enough not to be attractive to him anymore. Retirement age maybe?

"Dimitri is both of those things but I need something fresh as well to become the best fighter I could be correct?" He was too good at this game but he didn't have the card I had.

"As a vampire your strength would crush me I'm afraid my prince." I barely resisted the urge to add on 'dang it!'

"That won't be a problem for long sweet Grace." At my astounded look he laughed. "You didn't think I'd leave you human for long did you? No dear Grace, I like to keep my toys a bit longer than a mere human lifespan. Now come seen as you seem to want to keep this formal prince and servant relationship going." I followed him through the doors and could feel Dimitri's gaze burning into my back the entire time. Tough! "You will be given a car of your choosing, or bike or both."

"I get a car and a bike? Does that mean I really can leave when I want?" I didn't trust that promise for a second.

"Of course. You're here willingly now so I know you'll be coming back when I let you go, or I'll have someone fetch you back and allocate a suitable punishment." He looked me up and down and I can imagine what his idea of a punishment for me would involve. "Being part of my personal guard you'll get all the luxuries you want. Fine clothes, food, bikes, cars and me." When had he got so close to me?

I took a step away and he smiled slightly but carried on walking as if he hadn't seen anything. "Do you offer all of your personal guards those luxuries?"

He shot me a look that would have promised death at the suggestion if I hadn't been his favourite 'toy'. "No but then again you're the first female guard in my personal guard or on the kingdoms guard." What? "Females just never seem to apply for the positions unfortunately." I could guess why.

"Lucky me." Damien stopped suddenly and waved his hand into a room that was huge to say the least.

"Your sleeping quarters Grace." I walked into the cavernous room and couldn't help but turning in a slow circle to take it all in. "It is rather small I know," small? "but everyone has their own wing of the castle depending on rank and as a personal guard you are ranked, or will be when you pass the eliminations, quite high up but I didn't think it appropriate to place you with the other trainee guards or the personal guards being the only female so this entire wing is yours and yours only." Got that clear message but one question I needed to know was a worrying one.