Racing To Win... But What's The Prize?

(GRACE’S POV)

Dimitri caught up to me when I sat down to stare at the lake after running for two miles. “It’s mesmerising.” I said as he sat down next to me to take in the scenery.

“It is. All the years I’ve lived here after I built it and I never took the time to sit down and take in the scenery like this. I’ve always been so busy.” He said distractedly.

“Why do you work for Damien when you have such a beautiful home that you BUILT! It doesn’t make sense to me. I bet you have enough money to live a peaceful COMFORTABLE life here so why servitude under the guy you want to have beaten?” I couldn’t work it out personally because I love keeping active, I would rather be free out here than working for an up-himself vampiric prince.

“His father saved my life once and this was how I could pay him back, be a guard and trainer to his son. That’s my tale, short and to the point.” That clearly wasn’t the end of the story but I didn’t feel like I had the right to pry when I barely knew him.

“Wow. A few hundred years rolled into two sentences. You really are a man of few words Dimitri.” If he didn’t want to open up then I really wouldn’t pry, but I wouldn’t sit around in awkward tension either. I stood up and started my run again to find another place to have a rest.

“Hey wait up!” He shouted from behind me and soon caught me up. He clearly wasn’t using his vampiric speed and that made me wonder why. He could have run laps around me several times if he wanted to. This gave me an idea.

I stopped so abruptly Dimitri had to swerve to avoid hitting me. “I appreciate you waiting up but next time a little more warning would be appreciated.”

“How about a race?” I asked and planned out my running route back to the house.

“A race?” He laughed and looked like he was doing the same.

“Yeah, one where we’re both running at a human pace and we’ll see who’s naturally superior: me or, well, me.” I grinned and he shook his finger at me.

“So when you LOSE what do I get?”

“The hot water for your shower, hand cooked dinner by me - which doesn’t include biting me - and breakfast in bed tomorrow morning.” I shocked myself by saying. When had this suddenly become our couples retreat? After everything he had done to me and Lucy... ‘But it is also him who is protecting Lucy, training you to fight and being nice to you’ a little voice in my head whispered, but I put my mood down to my enchanting surroundings.

“That sounds really good actually, but what do you want if you win?” He asked with a mischievous glint in his eyes as he moved closer to me. I slapped his progressing hand away from me although it turned out to be more of a playful tap.

“I don’t want that.” he pouted at me and made me laugh. “But I’ll have the same thing when I win. I get the hot water for my bath, I want a hand cooked meal by you and not a microwave meal either! I also want breakfast in bed tomorrow morning, which means the full english breakfast!” He nodded in agreement muttering how he couldn’t cook but it wouldn’t matter when he won. “No vampire speed.” I reminded him and took my stance to run my shortcut route that I had planned out in my head. “Ready... set... bananas!” I shouted and Dimitri jumped forward before turning around to glare at me.