The Turning...

The alarm clocked buzzed on the side of the cabinet and I had never hated an inanimate object more in my life. I hated it that much I glared at it for five minutes as it continued to go off like it was mocking the fact that I was too lazy to get out of bed and turn the thing off. I squinted through the glare to see that it was 12:01. I’d gone to bed five hours beforehand and someone had set the alarm! I threw a pillow at the clock but even though it hit it the irritating chime just continued from it’s position on the floor under the cushion. Well I was awake now so time for a nosey around the castle! 

I tried to choose an outfit that would draw the least amount of attention to me and then realised that everyone who was anyone knew about Damien’s new pet so the more conspicuous I tried to look the more obvious I was going to be so it was a case of going overt to be covert. In the wardrobe I found a nice black and white summer dress that had no back, spaghetti straps and came to just above my knees; coupled with a pair of white healed flip-flops and my long straight blonde hair running down my back I looked like a picture of innocence. I grabbed a scarf and wrapped it loosely around my shoulders and tied it into a loose not in front to let it hang and then grabbed a couple of wooden cuticle sticks that I’d found in the manicure set that had been left in the bathroom to slot into the knot of the scarf out of view of anyone; just in case someone decided to get unnecessarily frisky, or if Dimitri annoyed me again. The latter was the most plausible situation at the minute.

I spied an iPhone 5 on the floor just a few inches away from the fallen alarm clock that I hadn’t noticed before throwing the pillow at the stand. I picked it up and realised it was a new one and when I unlocked it the contacts screen popped up with only two phone numbers: Lucy’s and Dimitri’s. My heart skipped a beat as a message popped up on screen for me to open. It read:

IF YOU’RE READING THIS THEN YOU’VE FOUND THE PHONE I BOUGHT FOR YOU. FIGURED YOU’D NEED SOMETHING OF YOUR OWN NOW TO KEEP IN CONTACT WITH LUCY AND HOPEFULLY ME. LOOK ON THE BACK.

I grinned like an idiot and turned the phone around to see it engraved with the simple sentence: Grace, all my love now and always, Dimitri x. Damn that man knew how to woo a twenty first century girl like me! And his wife... my mind supplied and I turned the phone back around to drop a text to Lucy to let her know I was at the castle and that I hope she’s okay before leaving the room in search of something. Anything.

The first thing I managed to find was standing right outside my room when I walked out. “Afternoon.” I greeted cordially and nodded but the guard just gave me a bored look and went back to staring after a servant who’d just gone down the corridor and round the corner into another section of the castle. “I’m actually going for a walk so I guess that means you’re free to go and do what- or who- you want.” He turned back to me with a shocked expression on his face as if I was talking another language to him or something. “Shoo.” I said slower and made shooing motions with my hands and when that didn’t seem to work I turned my back on him and walked the opposite way, bored of him already. Beauty and no brains.

The corridors seemed to go on forever and be all linked up together like an ants nest. I walked past several rooms and became lost very quickly which was not a good thing for my sleuthing. I rounded a corner that felt remotely familiar and was greeted by yet another guard who had about six others stood not far behind him but it didn’t take him long to spot me. “I’m sorry miss you’re not allowed down these corridors.” He stood up from his slouched position on the wall and started to walk towards me as if he was trying to heard me out of the corridor and into another one, the only problem was he’d now told me that I couldn’t be there and now I didn’t want to be anywhere else.

“Why not?” I asked trying to peer past him but all I got was an eyeful of more guards glancing over at us briefly and then going back to their own conversation.