The Finale... The Wedding Present!

Damien finally let me go from his room after wanting to chat about the quick wedding arrangements that were in place for our soon to be wedding – why I had no idea – but as soon as I was out of that room I was running towards the dungeons to find Dimka.

         As I ran down the castle I heard people cheering and became confused when they started to wave at me like I was their idol or something. When I finally reached his cell I was out of breath for even a vampire and almost burst out crying when he wasn’t there. Damien had played me like a fool and kept me so e could get rid of Dimitri…

         “Grace?” A familiar voice said from behind me and I flung myself into Dimitri’s arms without even thinking about it, not planning on ever letting go until he froze.

         “Dimka?” I asked, confused at the cold look he was suddenly showing me as he stepped away from me.

         “Is it true?” He demanded, making me suddenly even more confused about his attitude.

         “Is what true?” I thought about the situation for a moment. “How did you get out of your cell?”

         “Some guards let me out announcing the engagement of Grace to Damien with the same glee the whole castle is sharing in.” Oh God, that’s why he’d held me back.

         “Dimitri just let me explain-” I held my hands out but he sneered at them so I dropped them back to my sides.

         “Here I was thinking, surely they must be wrong or it must be a different Grace because it certainly can’t be my fiancée that has agreed to marry the man that had her whole family murdered!” He was shouting by the end of the sentence and seething with rage but he needed to let me explain.

         “You couldn’t run away with me Dimka, you would have begun to resent me from taking you away from your home, your duty-”

         “So this is my fault, Grace?”

         “No Dimka-”

         “Don’t you dare call me that you whore!” He snapped and I couldn’t believe that he’d just said that to me.

         Tears rolled down my cheeks as I tried one more time, “Please just let me explain…”

         “I think the time for explaining is done, just like we are. Forever.” He stormed out of the dungeons not once looking back and I should have expected this but somehow I hadn’t expected it to go this wrong. I did this for him and he didn’t even know it; never would know it now.

(DIMITRI’S POV)

She had to be bloody kidding me! My fiancée was engaged to my brother! I punched the wall on the way to his chambers and didn’t even hesitate before entering, just in time to see him disrobing another chambermaid. “Leave us!” I bellowed and she ran scurrying from the room while Damien merely sighed.

         “What is it with you two coming in here and ruining all my fun?” Us two? I wasn’t even going down that path.

         “You’re engaged to my fiancée?” I quietly seethed, maintaining my position by the door.

         “Well she’s technically my fiancée now, so in that respect, no I’m not.”

         I’d had enough of him! “You think you’re so smart? Try marrying my fiancée when you’re dead.” Before I’d even made one step his calm persona turned into the malicious one people rarely got to see.