Another Day, Another Death!

Days had gone by after the argument with Damien; I’d had a private funeral for Lucy that George had helped arrange. The ceremony was imprinted on my memory but what I found comforting was the fact that Dimitri had turned up even when he kept his distance.

         The days following that had gone by smoothly and Damien had not said one word to me, which was weird after his determination that I was meant to be with him. Something was wrong and the happier I was feeling because of George, the more that feeling increased to the point where, when he was about to go up and fight, I grabbed his arm. “Don’t go.”

         I looked at his sparring partner for that evening and he was huge and vaguely familiar to me, but from where I had no idea. George followed my line of sight and shrugged. “I’ve taken on worse.” When I continued to look at his opponent he gently grabbed my chin and turned my head to face him. “Don’t go growing a conscience on me now, it doesn’t suit you.”

         “Who says I’ve got a conscience? Doesn’t stop me feeling that something is wrong.” It was just that opponent that I had a problem with.

         “Relax, as much as my ego is loving the fact that you’re worried about me, the rest of me wants you to just let me be the protector of you.” His cheeky grin didn’t stop me feeling anxious.

         “Protector my ass.” I looked up to see Damien leaning forward in his chair as if to get a better view and that just confirmed my suspicions that something was off; why would he be so interested in someone’s fight who he has never met otherwise? “Let me go instead.” I pleaded as my gaze shot from his opponent to him, to Damien and then finally landed on the empty chair of Dimitri’s. Where was he to call off the fight or swap the guy?

         “Hey,” he waited until I looked up at him and placed a hand on my cheek, “I’ll be fine, the guy couldn’t hurt me if he wanted to because I wouldn’t leave you on your own. Who’d annoy you if I did?” When I didn’t relax he added, “He can’t kill me now in front of everyone, to do that he’d need a weapon and I’m not that easily beaten.” He walked away from me and I still had the urge to pull him back even though I knew he was right about the other guy not being able to kill him.

         “Good luck!” I shouted behind him more out of some compulsion to do so rather than thinking it would help him in any way. “Who is that guy?” I said to the closest person to me and nodded to the competition.

         The guy looked at him. “All I can tell you is he’s called Harry and this is the first time he’s been back in the palace in years.”

         “What do you mean? Isn’t he a guard?” Why would he be away?

         “Oh aye, he’s a guard but usually he’s on business for the Prince.” As it was Dimitri’s guard I was assuming he meant Damien.

         “Why would he come back to just do some measly guard testing?” I watched as the two of them fought and it was a little comforting to see that George wasn’t bragging when he said he would be fine, he really could hold his own against the bulk of Harry.

         “Honestly can’t answer that one miss but it’s safe to say that if he’s here now then it’s the Prince’s doing because that particular lapdog only acts when he hears his masters voice.” The guy nodded, stood and walked off, clearly done with the conversation while I watched George start to get the upper hand on Harry until big Harry landed on the floor with a thud and the crowd cheered at George’s victory.

         I let out a breath that I hadn’t even realised that I’d been holding and started to make my way to the center of the arena while George to face me with his signature cheeky grin plastered on his face. “See, told you there was nothing to worry about.”