10| ''May I have this dance?''

A/N: Song in the media for later.

The car ride was awkwardly silent and when we attempted to play some music, the radio only belted out crappy love songs that made us both cringe.

'Uhm,' I started, making Nathaniel's green eyes flicker towards me, 'thank you for taking me to buy school supplies'.

He smiled, a dimpled one, 'No problem. I said I'd take you didn't I?'

'Still,' I said, looking out the window. Then another thought occurred to me, 'How much will it cost then?'

Nathaniel laughed, 'It'll be free for you. Your uncle has given me money but I've refused,' when I opened my mouth to protest he silenced me with a handsome grin, 'We have lived under your uncle's care for years, consider this a small payment. It's not much Keira, it's really no problem at all'.

I bit my bottom-lip, still feeling uncomfortable with someone else paying for all my school equipment, 'If you're sure. Let me treat you to dinner then'.

'A date, Bambi?' Jett's mocking voice sounded and I looked around, a frown upon my face.

Nathaniel looked at me, 'What's wrong?'

'Where's Jett?' I asked, peering at the backseat of the Lamborghini but there was no one there.

'In class I'd say,' Nathaniel replied, a frown gracing his forehead, 'Why?'

'Uhm,' I frowned to myself, had I just imagined him in my head? I rubbed my face, patting my cheeks, since when did that åsshat find his way into my subconscious?

'Are you alright Keira?' Nathaniel asked, putting a comforting hand on my arm as we stopped in front of a stoplight.

I smiled, a blush turning to my cheeks as his long fingers caressed the soft skin of my forearm, 'I'm fine, thanks'.

Nathaniel smiled, 'Good. Do you still have your list of supplies with you? It's been a while since I had to buy the first grade school supplies myself'.

I sighed, flipping open my bag before moving my  hand around in it, my eyes trained on Nathaniel's handsome profile, 'It really sucks that I can't just be in senior year with Pixie and Sorcha'.

Nathaniel smiled, 'Think about it this way; the hard finals are still years later'.

'I don't know if that makes me feel any better,' I grumbled, pulling out the crumpled piece of letter that I'd managed to bury under all the rest of my books, 'Oops'.

He laughed when  he saw the paper, lightening the mood, 'It's nice to see you so invested in your studies, Keira'.

I hit his arm with a grin and the rest of the car ride felt natural.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

As we walked down the endless stairs that carried us deeper and deeper underground, I found that my fingers had gripped onto Nathaniel's jacket sleeves.

'Scared?' he asked, subtle teasing present in his voice as he stopped momentarily on the stony stairs.

'It's like going down to a basement in the seventh grade of Hell,' I managed, looking around me at the old-fashioned gas lamps that decorated the walls.

Nathaniel pulled my hand from his clothing gently and slid his fingers over mine, 'No need to be scared, we're nearly there'.

Thankful that my blush would be concealed in the dim light, I followed Nathaniel down the stairs.