29| "It's never too late"

KEIRA

For once the Van der Laine mansion felt like home. With all my friends, just watching a rerun of action movies on the broadscreen television. Our eyes were trained on the screen and with every sympathetic gasp for the actress, tension seemed to leave our bodies.

I could feel Jett's fingers rub over mine, his lips pressed against my temple as he too - watched. Too grounded to be even slightly shocked with mortal acting but his presence had a more than calming affect on my strained heart.

The bond was a strange thing that had me feeling even more connected to him than ever before. It wasn't a head over heels feeling anymore, but something even more sure. A love that was meant to be forever.

And even I wasn't a big fan of fairy tales.

As the movie came to an end, Blaze and Pixie opted to watch another crime serie while the rest of us opted for bed. Sharing soft 'good nights' with the others, I followed Jett up to his bedroom.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

The scream that pierced the night had me wake up with a jolt. Just moments ago I had been shrouded in the false sense of security that Jett's arms provided but a heartbeat later we were both jumping from bed with wide eyes and goosebumps scattered over cold skin.

'Who was that?' I whispered, watching my boyfriend pull on the shirt he had discarded to the ground - automatically wiping away the spread of scars over his torso, 'It sounded familiar'.

'Stay here,' he growled at me, putting a hand up as I made ready to follow him out the door.

'Jett, what the-'

'Stay here!' he repeated, louder this time before giving me one piercing glare laced with concern and anger before he shut the door behind him.

JETT

The hallways that I'd roamed as a child were familiar, more so than that. Over the years I'd learned every nook and cranny of the Van der Laine mansion. Every surface of paint was incrust with memories of a lonely angry child who dwelt like a poltergeist.

The mansion had never been a safe haven, not even when we had been supposedly rescued from danger. For we had traded a lesser evil for a greater one; a time bomb for dynamite. Edmund had never wished the best for us, never wished the best for me and being abandoned by my own brother had truly topped everything off.

It was at the front door that I saw who it was.

Edmund looked more dishevelled than before, his hair no longer perfectly coiffed and his beard no longer perfectly trimmed. He had a look of a wild man, a desperate man - hanging on the last tendrils of hope.

In his arms was a girl that I was familiar with too, the maid; Briana. She was crying hysterically, yet there were no noises that came from her lips - just the shuddering of fear and knowing just how close one was to death.

'I didn't know my house was occupied,' he drawled, pressing the blade closer to the sobbing servant girl's throat, 'Why isn't this a reunion'.

'Give it up, Edmund,' Jax spoke from the side, he too had woken up from the commotion and we shared a look before we each took a step down the stairs, 'You will be deported to Leowyn either way, it doesn't matter what you try now. The officials have never failed in tracking down criminals and you will be no exception'.

For a while the air was silent, as if Edmund was truly contemplating whether he should run or stay but then he shook his head, 'You truly stay oblivious till the end. My own creations will save me and my work will be forever remembered'.