Chapter 4

I get to school and I get to my first class for today.

Once the bell rings I get to a seat.

Once again there is a barrier around that one guy in the back. I walk to the back of the room and sit next to him.

A few people stare at me doing this. Once I sit down I can feel him staring at me with those cold eyes again.

"I'm Thea." I say to him trying to lighten the mood and to help him out.

He just gives me an even harsher look. It is almost as if he wants to be alone.

I look forward again because, one, I don't like that harsh look, and two, because he didn't answer me.

The teacher walks in.

"Lucas."

"Hm?" I say not knowing who said that.

"Lucas, is my name." the boy next to me says.

I look over at him and he is still giving me that cold look but it lightened up a little bit.

I smile at him. He gets a little surprised at this.

"Alright now time for class to start." The teacher says.

*****

It is now time for lunch. I get my lunch out of my locker and I get to the same table I was at yesterday.my new friends come over to sit with me.

"Hey Thea." Riley says.

The group sits down.

"Have you heard? During first period?" Kyle says.

"What?" I say.

"I wasn't in their class that time but my friend was." Declan says.

"What?" I say again.

"Thea you should know." Hana says.

"WHAT?" I say anxious to know.

"You got the shadow to speak." Claude said.

News in the school spread really fast. I look over at Lucas. He isn't looking at me with the really harsh look. It is still cold, but not as bad.

"You mean Lucas?" I ask.

My friends look at me in amazement.

"You got him to speak, and now we know who the shadow is!" Riley says.

"What is wrong with that?" I say.

"He never talks. He just looks at you cold and that is freaky enough." Claude says.

"The curse he has makes him really cold." Declan says.

"That is ridiculous. There is no curse." I say.

"Suit yourself." Declan says.

"There is no curse." Hana says.

I eat my lunch as they go on talking about how I managed to get Lucas to talk. I don't get at all, how that is such a big deal.

I mean, it's just, knowing a person's name!

I continue to eat my lunch isolated from the conversation. I can feel multiple sets of eyes on me. They all must know too.

I'm used to the feeling of eyes on me now. But it is still a weird feeling.

*****

I get back up to the castle the next day. I brought my book again. This time I will read for homework because I have a reading log in my English, or French I guess, class.