Run gone wrong

I didn't sit alone outside my tent.

Sophia was cuddled at my side and was murmering about the good old days of school and her old friends. Lea and Jaz were still asleep and Beth was helping make breakfast with Carol.

The last few days had been hard for Hershel and his family, the walkers the family kept in the barn were killed, I knew about them when Lea told me but Glenn he told the others and Shane killed them all. I can't help but wonder if me and Sophia didn't find our way back here would we have ended up the same way?

"Who was your friends at school?" Sophia asks.

"Well it was a while ago but Jaz and Beth were but I was a bit of a loner, kept to myself, spent most days in my form reading a book rather than paying attention to my teachers" I recollected.

Sophia smiled at me and the warmness of her innocent heart warmed me.

"Whats your favourite book?" I ask.

"I like Harry Potter" She starts "My mum used to read it to me before bed" She finishes with a small smile.

"I love Harry Potter!" I squeal.

"Whats your favourite book?" She asks.

"I like a lot of books but I would have to say Marked by P.C. Cast" I say.

"Tell me about it?" She asks.

"Zoey Redbird is marked by a vampire tracker and then she goes to the school House of Night and she is no average flegling that she is special and marked by the goddess Nyx" I speak remembering the story as if by heart.

"That sounds good Rose" Sophia beamed.

I smiled and turned as Jaz and Beth walked over to us.

"Rose we are going on a run to find Hershel and Ricks coming" Beth said with a smile.

"I'm coming" I say.

"I knew you would" Jaz says winking at me and I remember the kiss me and Rick shared the other day, the one that ended it all.

"Let me get my stuff" I say as I hug sophia goodbye with a kiss to her forhead.

I look through mine and Daryl's tent for my bow.

"Looking for this" A voice says behind me.

I turn to see Daryl standing behind me with my bow and arrows in his hand.

"Daryl please may I have my bow and arrows?" I ask.

"No" He says.

"Pretty please big bro" I say with my puppy dog eyes that I know will make him do anything I say.

"Why do you have to go as soon as you return" He pleads.

"Its just a run Daryl I will be back before dark" I say.

"Come back to me" He pleads as he hands over my stuff.

"I love ya Daryl" I say as I peck his cheek and wrap my arms around him, not knowing if this will be the last time I see my big brother.

"Love ya too" He mutters his eyes closed and I know that no goodbyes are needed as we both couldn't take it.

I grab my things and leave the tent looking back at Daryl as I leave.

I walk over to Jaz,Beth, Glenn and Rick.

"You ready Rose?" Glenn asks.

I nod.

"You took your time" Beth says.

"Yeah, Daryl wanted to see me before I went" I reply trying not to look at Rick as I knew he was staring.
I saw Lori walking over and she made it so obvious she wasn't here to wish anyone but Rick luck. She went straight in smacking her lips against his making a huge show that he was hers not mine, I couldn't help the pain that burned inside me and I looked to my friends for assistance.