The new professor

Phoenix

I saw him and everything changed. My heart hammered, my breath was taken away. I stopped in my tracks. Notice me.  I whispered. He was looking down at the table. Please look at me I urged silently. This sudden surge of emotion had completely floored me. I'm not the type of person who wears their heart on their sleeve. I had never felt this strongly about anyone or anything before. All I knew was the most important thing in the world right now was getting this man to look at me. I had to know if he felt the same.
I began to feel watched. I glanced around the great hall and realised that several students were looking at me. I gathered myself together and continued to walk through the hall. The ceiling was a deep midnight blue. you could see all the stars of the night. The headmaster rose to his feet and calm descended around the room. "Welcome back to our oldest students and a very warm welcome to our newest additions." He swept his hands over to the first years who had just been sorted into their houses. "I have an exciting announcement to make" he continued as he surveyed the hall."This year we are introducing a brand new subject. One which I am sure a lot of you will throughly enjoy." At this news there was a murmur of hushed, excited whispers. Albus Dumbledore smiled at the response. "Without further ado I would like to introduce you all to our newest professor of music, dance and the performing arts, professor Phoenix Knight." I felt my cheeks redden at the sound of my name. I glanced around the hall and smiled as I continued my journey to the teachers table. Dumbledore held his arms out in welcome. I returned the embrace and kissed both his cheeks. " I believe you have a performance lined up for us Professor" Dumbledore gestured from me to the empty stage in front of the teachers table. I nodded my head in agreement and flashed my biggest smile. Dumbledore glanced towards the stage and smiled back at me over his half moon spectacles. He returned to his seat watching me with a keen expression. I took a deep breath. this was truly a make or break moment. Performing arts had never been on the curriculum at Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry. I knew I had to prove myself, I knew I couldn't let Dumbledore down. He had really put his neck on the line so I could get into this school. I walked centre stage and unclipped my dragonskin cloak. As it tumbled to the floor I flicked my wand into the air. Out of the ceiling dropped a glittering golden hoop on a long golden, silk scarf. My body was tingling all over. Adrenaline was coursing through my veins. With a trembling hand I reached for the hoop. As I pulled myself up, all the fear and nervousness melted away. This is where I belonged. I flung my head backwards and waited for the music to start. I hadn't planned on looking at him but I couldn't resist. As I looked towards him our eyes met and I knew. I could feel my soul ignite with a fierce passion. Just then the music roared through the great hall, and the lioness within me sprang to life. As I twirled my body around the hoop my mind was thinking about the man with the black hair.