The start of something new

Phoenix

I had just got into my cottage after a run around the grounds. My feet were muddy and numb from the cold, my once white dress was covered in dirt splatters and rips, but I felt incredible! I had just pulled the ruined dress over my head when there was frantic knocking at the door. I cursed under my breath. "Who is it?!" I yelled as I grabbed the dress off the floor.
"It's me." said a voice that made my heart skip a beat. I scrambled to the door and pulled it back. There he was. He looked different. His face was brighter, he stood taller. He looked like the weight of the world had been lifted from his shoulders. Then he smiled. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. Forgetting that I was only in my underwear, I threw myself into his waiting arms. "Severus.." I began, but he quelled my question by bringing his lips to mine. As we kissed, what was left of my dress drifted down to the floor, all was forgotten as I lost myself in his embrace.

I couldn't believe what had just happened. I poked my head around my bedroom door, and sure enough there was professor Severus Snape sat at my kitchen table waiting for me. I felt giddy with excitement. We were together, an item...a...thing! I smoothed out the new dress that I had put on before exiting my bedroom. As soon as he heard movement his head shot up. He watched me approach and smiled. It looked so out of place on his face, but I don't think I'll ever get tired of seeing that smile. I smiled back. "You look beautiful." He whispered. As I walked past I slid my hand across his shoulders. "Thank you professor." I said coyly. He gave me a look as he rose from his seat. We both stood surveying each other across my kitchen. I turned my back and busied myself with some washing up I had left from the day before. I sensed movement behind me then he slid his hands around my waist. "Why don't you use magic to do that?" He asked. I shrugged. " I kinda like doing things the muggle way sometimes. Anyway, I grew up with my grandma, who was a muggle, old habits die hard I suppose." He buried his face into my hair. "You smell wonderful." He breathed. I grinned at his sweetness then emptied the washing up bowl. I dried my hands on a nearby tea towel and turned slowly around to face him. "You can be sweet when you want to be." I teased as I kissed his nose. He gently ran his hand through my hair, I was just leaning into him so I could kiss him, when there were four loud knocks upon my front door.

Severus leapt apart from me looking utterly terrified. I shook my head in annoyance, then went to answer the door.
"Ello professor Knight! " said Hagrid. "I just wanted to ask if you wanted any fertilizer for your garden? I just 'ad a load of dragon dung delivered for my pumpkin patch and I had...." He stopped when he finally clocked Severus lingering around my kitchen table. "Oh, I er' hope I wasn't interrupting or nothing." He looked a little sheepish as he glanced from me to Severus. "Not at all Hagrid." I lied. "Severus was just telling me some handy tips on how to make my own levitation potion." I paused, "thank you for your kind offer Hagrid. I'm sure my flowers would really appreciate it." I smiled warmly up at him. "Alright, I'll wheel some over and leave it round the back."
He waved goodbye to both of us and stomped off. I closed the door slowly. Then turned round to face Severus. I felt really angry, but I didn't want to let it show. "Why do you do that?" I asked hotly.
"What do you mean?" He retorted.
"Are you ashamed to be seen with me?" I demanded, "is that why act so weird around others?!" He stared at me. I could tell he was trying hard not to lose his temper.
"Of course I'm not ashamed to be seen with you. If anything I don't want you to be embarrassed by being with me." He muttered. I looked at him with a raised eyebrow.
"Don't play that way with me." I demanded.
"It might have been a student at the door for all we knew, and like you said you don't want our jobs compromised by letting a student catch us together." He added smugly. I narrowed my eyes at him. "So you're not embarrassed to be seen with a muggle raised, dance professor?" I said quietly. He walked over to me and pulled me into his arms.
"Phoenix. I've been waiting my whole life for you and now I've finally found you, I'll never let you go." I nestled my head into his chest and tried to blink back the tears that had formed. Something was still niggling away at me but I pushed any doubts I had to one side. Right now I just wanted to enjoy this moment.