A glimpse into the past

Phoenix

After our perfectly innocent shower, I changed into the pixie dress I had packed. It was slytherin green and made from velour. It clung to every curve. I smiled wickedly, Severus will love it I thought to myself. He had already gone downstairs to help with  preparations. As I stepped out of his bedroom, I glanced over to his parents old room. I hesitated, but curiosity won out. I tip toed across the landing and very gently pressed the handle down. As the door opened it made a low whooshing sound, as if a vacuum seal had been broken after being locked up for many years. I glanced nervously behind me before taking a cautious step into the room. Just like the rest of the house, this room was very bare. It had a double bed which was covered in a faded, moth bitten bedspread. There was also a chest of drawers which had photographs dotted across the top. I made my way over to have a closer look. There was a family portrait, a photograph of a lady with a small girl, a photograph of a young couple and loads of photographs of a small, black haired boy in various stages of his development. The last photograph of Severus must have been when he graduated Hogwarts. He looked so different. His cheeks were gaunt and a malicious glint shone in his eyes. This had to be just before he joined Lord Voldemorts ranks. I ran my fingers over the image. If only I had known him sooner, maybe his life would have been different.
"My mistress thought the world of master Snape" came a small voice from behind me. My heart leapt into my throat and my hand accidently knocked over the photo frame.
"Socrates" I breathed, "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to..."
"It's okay Miss" he interrupted. "Master Snape was a troubled child." he pointed to the toppled frame. I watched as he used his own magic to put it back into it's place. "Who are these people?" I asked as I took a closer look at the photographs. All the  occupants were not smiling. At best they were giving a haughty grimace. "That picture" he said pointing to the family portrait, "is of my Mistress, her husband Mr Snape and Master Snape. " I noticed Socrates eyes darken at the mention of Severus' father. I stared at the photograph. The look on Severus' face was heartbreaking. He looked defiant yet there was no mistaking the underlying terror that was so plainly etched across his pallid face. I felt my stomach clench with anger, before I forced myself to look away. "What about this one." I asked as I pointed to the lady and little girl.
"Ah, now this is my Mistress with her mother, Lady Prince." I stared at the picture of Severus' mother and grandmother. "And I take it this is Severus' mother and father." I continued as I pointed to the photo of the young couple. Socrates slowly nodded, his giant ears flapping. "He was a bad man." He muttered darkly. I looked down at the little house elf. He met my gaze.
"I'm glad Master Snape has a 'friend' like you." He added. I raised an eyebrow at him. "You know perfectly well I'm far more than just a friend." I replied with a smirk. His face broke into a toothy grin. "He may put up quite a front, but deep down Master Snape has a kind heart." he replied. I felt face soften, "I know." I whispered to the room. He regarded me with his sharp eyes, before bowing to me.
"Dinner is ready Miss." he replied as he guided me from the bedroom.