Christmas at St Mungos

Phoenix

I awoke the next morning with a slight thumping in my temples. I groaned into the pillow as I adjusted my body. Severus began to stir as I draped my arm and leg over him. "Merry Christmas" he mumbled still half asleep. "Merry Christmas" I yawned in response. We led there semi comatosed until a little voice from my side of the bed coughed to announce his presence. "Oh-my-gosh!" I shrieked as I tried to cover up my naked body. "Merry Christmas Master and Miss" chirped the innocent voice of Socrates. "I took the liberty of preparing you both breakfast in bed." He raised a large tray which was ladened with delicious food. "Merry Christmas Socks" yawned Severus as he sat himself up and wrapped his arms around me. I shifted uncomfortably, the house elf was watching our every move. "Phoenix could you reach inside the bedside table, there should be a present for Socks inside." I did as I was told and smiled broadly as I watched the house elfs eyes widen with surprise and excitement. "Thank you Master Snape!" he squealed as he tore open the wrapping paper. He looked at the book which he now held in his hand. It was a book about cross stitching. Socrates eyes filled with tears. "Oh thank you Master, it is just what I wanted!" He bowed so low that the tip of his nose touched the floor, before scampering out of the room. He was already flipping through the pages. I grinned at Severus, "you are just the sweetest!" I cried. He raised an eyebrow at me. "Would you like me to prove how very un-sweet I can be? He growled as he pushed himself against me. I smiled wickedly. "There's no time for that" I scolded. "Come on I want you to open your present from me." He kissed my neck, I felt his stubbly chin tickle my skin and it made me shudder with delight. "That.. is..What..I'm..trying..to....do" he whispered as he continued to plant kisses across my shoulder with every word he uttered. "Severus!" I cried as I have him a playful nudge, "I'm being serious! " I reached over the edge of the bed and dragged my bag to within easy reach, I dug around the contents until I grasp the hard package. I pulled it out and handed it to him. I felt my heart flutter nervously. I hoped he liked it. He took the present and turned it over and over. He looked at the gift on his hands like he couldn't quite believe it existed. "Well, open it then" I murmured quietly. I watched as he began to undo the paper. It was almost painful to observe as he painstakingly peeled back the sellotape trying not to damage the wrapping paper. At long last he broke through to the contents. It was an emerald green diary with his initials emblazoned on the front in silver ink. He stared at the book, his expression was difficult to read. "Open it" I encouraged. He opened the diary. There stuck on the very first page was a picture of me and him. The image of us was smiling and waving up at him. I had taken this image on one of our weekend trips to my grandmothers cottage. He continued to stare at the photograph. "That's not all" I said quickly. "This isn't just any diary. It's enchanted with a special spell that enables you to write messages to me." I bent over the edge of the bed and rummaged for my diary. "whatever you write in your diary, will show up in my diary and vice versa. So no matter where we are or what we're doing, we will always be connected. " I finished my sentence and looked up at Severus. He was still staring at the image of me and him, his eyebrows were knotted together and his jaw was set. I felt my heart sink. But then he did something incredible. He pulled me into his arms and hugged me so tightly, I thought he would crush me. "I absolutely love it" he croaked. I held onto him as I heard him sniff quietly into my hair. I bit my lip and felt my own eyes well up. I ran my hands up his back. "Come on my love, we better eat our breakfast. " I whispered.

My nerves were on edge as I decided on what to wear to meet Severus' mother. I finally decided on a simple, purple shift dress. I put on the necklace that Severus had given me at the Christmas performance. He smiled as I entered the living room. "You look beautiful." He walked over to me and picked up my right hand, I felt cold metal against my skin as he fiddled with my wrist. When he removed his hand I saw a magnificent white gold bracelet inlaid with diamonds and emeralds. "Oh Severus, it's beautiful! " I gasped as I admired it from every angle. "It pales in comparison to your own beauty" remarked as he kissed inside of my wrist. "Are you ready?" he asked as he linked his fingers with mine. "I'm ready. " I replied, even though my stomach was in knots. His grip tightened as he stepped forward and I felt the familiar, heart wrenching jolt as we apparated to London.