Ch.3 [FLASHBACK P.3]

GINGER POV

I don't know what's gotten into me that I kissed Alessa on her cheek. I guess it's because of her kindness, she even gave me a cake and drove me to school. Good thing that I ran quickly afterwards because I felt really embarrassed. It's my first time to kiss someone aside from my mom.

I know it sounds corny but it's true, I never had a boyfriend before and my friends don't kiss me on my cheeks, neither do I.

Since the day that she talked to me in the pastry shop, my days became happier especially when she comes during lunchtime because she makes sure to find way to chat with me once in a while. She's been like that for a month already.

I can see the envy on the student's faces when I got out of Alessa's car. I can't blame them because her car is really amazing and this is the first time that a sports car has been spotted in our school. I went straight to my classroom with a wide smile on my face.

"Hey! Is that your boyfriend's car?" Julie nudged at me as soon as I sat beside her. She's my friend since elementary.

"Huh? Boyfriend?" I asked confused.

"The pink mustang, who else would bring you to school with a car? It's either your boyfriend or you suddenly became rich yesterday" she replied sarcastically, I blushed at the thought of a boyfriend.

"No! She's my friend. We met at the pastry shop where I work. Moreover, I don't think my boyfriend would choose to buy a pink colored sports car, if ever I have one" I replied while rolling my eyes at her.

"A female friend? Really? Hmm if she's just a friend then why are you blushing?" she asked suspiciously.

"Julie, why do you ask so many questions? I bet you would do the same to me if you're rich right?" I scowled at her, hoping that she would drop the topic.

"Yeah of course" She's about to say something again when our teacher finally arrived.

I sighed in relief afterwards. It's hard to explain everything to her when even myself don't know the answer as to why Alessa is being so nice to me.

The teacher announced that we will be having a long quiz. I didn't have the chance to review at work so I didn't expect that I would pass. I've been doing almost everything at the shop lately because one of the staff was on leave for two weeks.

After the quiz, the teacher dismissed us because he is busy with the upcoming foundation day. I didn't want the cake to spoil so I didn't waste time and went straight home.

"You seem so happy today Ginger," Mom noticed. She's waiting for me to finish preparing the cake that Alessa gave to me.

"I'm happy everyday, mom" I replied ecstatically. The flavor of the cake is blueberry cheesecake and it's my favorite. 

"You are exceptionally happy today. I wonder what or who caused you that?" She's giving me a suspicious look and it made me chuckle.

"I'm just happy because my friend gave me a cake. Free desserts are the best, right?" She laughed because it's true. Nothing tastes better than free food.

Mom works at a local eatery. She's thin and you can see on her face that she's tired but the beauty that she possesses remains. A lot of people say that I got all my features from her which I believe is true, we really do look alike.

"Oh! How kind of her to do that. You should invite her here on my birthday" she said in appreciation before slicing the cake.

I'm saving all the tip that the customers gave me to buy her a present. I want to buy her a cellphone so that she can text me every time she's not feeling well. She have  hypertension and the doctor advised us that she should avoid getting tired, but we don't have a choice, we both need to work to sustain our daily needs.