6. Son of Man

6. Son of Man (From "Tarzan")

Oh the power to be strong, and the wisdom to be wise, all these things will come to you in time

.

Louis parked his car in their usual spot, on the road outside the apartment building, before turning off his car. He'd gotten home from work much later than usual, it already being dark outside and well past dinner time.

He sighed, and instead of getting out, he sat there for a moment, letting out a long breath before putting his head in his hands.

He didn't want to go inside and break down in front of Harry, he had to be strong for his boy, but at the same time, he felt like everything was getting to him.

All the talk about starting a family with Harry had made him realise more than ever that he had no clue where he was from. How was he supposed to start a family when he didn't even know who his were?

Did his mother ever love him? Did his father ever hold him in his arms? How was he supposed to know anything, when the people who are supposed to love you the most, only ended up abandoning him?

He rested his head on the steering wheel as the first tear rolled down his cheek, landing in his lap.

He didn't want to scare Harry, but he was honestly frightened. He wanted children more than anything, but he wasn't sure he was going to be a good father. How could he possibly know what to do?

All he wanted was to know his family. He wanted to know his mother, his father, any brothers or sisters. He wanted to remember the woman who taught him his first steps. He wanted to know the man who taught him to ride a bike.

But it was impossible. He didn't know where to begin, he didn't even have a name to start the search.

He whimpered as he began to cry, sobbing onto the steering wheel of the car, his eyes red and puffy already while the London traffic sped past him, completely unaware. Just as he was about to sniffle, his phone started ringing.

He looked at the device, sitting in its holder next to him, and saw Harry's beautiful smiling face on the screen, notifying him that his boyfriend was calling.

So Louis wiped his nose and sniffled one last time, trying to steady his voice before answering the call.

"H-Hello, baby." He stuttered, hoping that Harry wouldn't have picked up on it.

"Hey." Harry breathed, and Louis could practically hear him frowning. "Are you okay? Lou, are you crying?"

"No." Louis lied, adding a little laugh to make it more convincing. "M'Just catching a cold, I think. Don't you worry bout me."

"Okay," Harry drawled, sounding unconvinced, but he didn't question it further. "Um, I just, I saw your car pull up from the window, and you've been out there for a little bit now, was just wondering what's going on, is all." The younger boy mumbled.

"Oh," Louis chuckled again. "Nothing. It's fine, I was just- Uh, I dropped my phone before, but I found it, it's okay. I'm coming in now." He said quickly, hoping Harry would buy his excuse.

It seemed he did, because Harry simply said "Okay, I love you." and told him he would see him in a minute.

Louis took one more moment, inspecting himself in the rear-view mirror before wiping his face and gathering his things, finally getting out of the car.

He got his bag from backseat, and locked the car before heading into the building and waiting for the elevator.

He sighed, squeezing his eyes closed for a moment, before he heard the doors open. When he opened his eyes, the sight in front of him made him smile.